Reef Octopus Algae Reactors

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that Reef Octopus is about to release Algae Reactors.

Do you have a date as to when they will be available and what the pricing will be?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It really should not require to much maintenance..
Just open it and remove the algae..
Wipe down the sleeve that surrounds the light..
Your normal pump maintenance..

Other than wiping down the sleeve that is around the light It should not require anymore maintenance than any other reactor. They basically are a reactor that has a light down the middle.

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most media reactors are terribly burdensome when it comes time to clean and change them. Hoses fall off, o-rings fail, you need tools to open them, the sponges clog, etc.

I wouldn't see some of this as being a problem here. However, how fast does the light at this spectrum grow coraline algae? Can the light be removed and fully soaked in vinegar? Are the tabs to open the unit easy to remove? Does the o-ring fall out when you open the unit and get lost? All seem stupid but can make maintenance more difficult that some might be willing to commit to. That's I guess what I was referring to.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most media reactors are terribly burdensome when it comes time to clean and change them. Hoses fall off, o-rings fail, you need tools to open them, the sponges clog, etc.

I wouldn't see some of this as being a problem here. However, how fast does the light at this spectrum grow coraline algae? Can the light be removed and fully soaked in vinegar? Are the tabs to open the unit easy to remove? Does the o-ring fall out when you open the unit and get lost? All seem stupid but can make maintenance more difficult that some might be willing to commit to. That's I guess what I was referring to.

When I get a chance I will open mine up and take pictures. I think there is a separate sleeve around the light that can be taken out and cleaned like in most UV sterilizers.

I do hear you on reactors and cleaning them. For me it was a pain keeping my refugium section clean and keeping all the little chaeto bits out of dividers and skimmer.

This has thumb screws on top that you loosen and then turn and the top comes off.

I will try and get pictures of what you are asking about. I am going to rap this weekend and have people coming over Sunday so it will most likely be next week..

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did take pictures Sunday I just have been super busy.
I will post them in my thread when I get a chance...
It was not bad to clean. I actually would not have had to remove it from the sump. I could just tip it and pull it out but removed it anyway for pictures. If you remove it from the sump close the valve to the pump so water does not run out.

Last edited:

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any further reviews of the reef octo algae reactor? I have a chance to buy one for a decent price and am not finding a lot of feedback on this brand - maybe because they are relatively new.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any further reviews of the reef octo algae reactor? I have a chance to buy one for a decent price and am not finding a lot of feedback on this brand - maybe because they are relatively new.

I post in this thread for updates:

I just posted a updated pic the other day..

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spotted these "growth" photos in a Facebook group today!

jeremy-light-reactor.jpg

jay-light-reactor.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back