Reef Octopus ANC vs Avast Marine Swabbie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaron186
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aaron186

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2015
Messages
712
Reaction score
223
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the Reef Octopus Auto Neck Cleaner for my RO 150sss elite and wow is it big. It also doesn’t have a spot for the float valve anymore. I was considering making a DIY skimmate collector using the switch.

It looks like the Avast Marine Swabbie is lower profile and if I’m willing to drill my lid, will retain use of the float valve. However it looks like it only has 1 blade instead of 2, and isn’t specifically made for my skimmer like the RO one is

I was wondering if anyone has experience with one or both of these to help guide my decision and if I should return the ANC
 
I had the Avast Marine Swabbie on a massive Reef Octopus skimmer, worked like a champ for years.

Only issue I had was when the skimmate was a bit too dry and it would smear.
 
I have the Avast Swabbie and couldn't be more happy. I am skimming wet so don't see any issue with smearing. Haven't clean the skimmer for months.
I sent my Nyos Lid to Avast and have them drilled the holes!
 
I have the Avast Swabbie and couldn't be more happy. I am skimming wet so don't see any issue with smearing. Haven't clean the skimmer for months.
I sent my Nyos Lid to Avast and have them drilled the holes!

Was always trying to automate everything, even the skimmer, the Swabbie helped with that :)
 
Was lucky to be able to reach a drain from the skimmer :)
That is super convenient; wish I have that option. However, I also want the Skimmer Shutoff if it is overflow (and not emptying the ATO) so the Shutoff switch works for my situation.
 
That is super convenient; wish I have that option. However, I also want the Skimmer Shutoff if it is overflow (and not emptying the ATO) so the Shutoff switch works for my situation.

Nice :)

Had the laundry room behind the tank.

So two 55 gallon drums for ATO water and automated water change water. Would do a small change everyday automated with Neptune DOS.

Didn't plan it like that, but worked out well, can see the shared wall with the laundry room :)

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new