Reef Octopus ANC vs Avast Marine Swabbie?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the Reef Octopus Auto Neck Cleaner for my RO 150sss elite and wow is it big. It also doesn’t have a spot for the float valve anymore. I was considering making a DIY skimmate collector using the switch.

It looks like the Avast Marine Swabbie is lower profile and if I’m willing to drill my lid, will retain use of the float valve. However it looks like it only has 1 blade instead of 2, and isn’t specifically made for my skimmer like the RO one is

I was wondering if anyone has experience with one or both of these to help guide my decision and if I should return the ANC

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Avast Marine Swabbie on a massive Reef Octopus skimmer, worked like a champ for years.

Only issue I had was when the skimmate was a bit too dry and it would smear.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Avast Swabbie and couldn't be more happy. I am skimming wet so don't see any issue with smearing. Haven't clean the skimmer for months.
I sent my Nyos Lid to Avast and have them drilled the holes!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Avast Swabbie and couldn't be more happy. I am skimming wet so don't see any issue with smearing. Haven't clean the skimmer for months.
I sent my Nyos Lid to Avast and have them drilled the holes!

Was always trying to automate everything, even the skimmer, the Swabbie helped with that :)

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super convenient; wish I have that option. However, I also want the Skimmer Shutoff if it is overflow (and not emptying the ATO) so the Shutoff switch works for my situation.

Nice :)

Had the laundry room behind the tank.

So two 55 gallon drums for ATO water and automated water change water. Would do a small change everyday automated with Neptune DOS.

Didn't plan it like that, but worked out well, can see the shared wall with the laundry room :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back