Reef Octopus OCT120 skimmer.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? It seems to be the only skimmer I can find for a decent price that will fit in my sump besides nano skimmers. Google searches don't give away much info.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Googles turning up with nothing at all. Does anyone at least have second hand information about this skimmer?

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad I'd hate to call you guys in on something so trivial, but I'm not getting any help here...

cb183a26df724d8681a566aa5a130490.png

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't be of any help...no experience with them. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no first hand experience with that exact skimmer but I used to have a 1000sss skimmer. And let's just say my experience with it wasn't the best.

I know you have a budget but I would consider a tunze skimmer

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :)

If I can't find decent reviews I'll have to pass on this one. I've heard great things about reef octopus skimmers, but don't want to go into this build blindly.

I have 8x8x16.25" space and 7.5-8inches maximum water level. A little more space than I estimated I would have :D
That's 16.25" from the bottom of the sump to the underside of the stand, so more like 14inches so I have a little space to get the collection cup off etc.
Do you have any recommendations for that space? It's ~30gal total water volume at the moment which will have an external fuge and frag tank plumbed in eventually, so total water volume will be more like 60gal eventually. I'm still unsure of livestock, but it will most likely have a medium-ish bioload.
I currently have a tunze 9001 but I don't think it would handle that much water.

@hybridazn what issues did you have with the 1000sss?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the skimmers I'm finding a just a hair too big for the dimensions you have. They are either too tall or a bit too wide. Sorry Tyler, I've never used that particular skimmer but I've used several Reef Octopus skimmers and have loved them so far.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google search is turning up something interesting for me ... that skimmer (and the OCT180) are _only_ showing up on ebay Australia, and don't really resemble any of the Reef Octopus stuff at Marine Depot. Also noting that the logo on the pictured skimmer doesn't really look like the Reef Octopus logos I've seen about, and my spider sense is tingling . . .

~Bruce

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with that particular skimmer but I ran 2 reef octopus skimmers. One on my display (dnwb-110) and one for my frag tank (nwb-110). Both performed very well and I would reccomend and buy them again.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! That's making me little more comfortable with perhaps getting it. I can't find any information on this particular skimmer anywhere!!

Google search is turning up something interesting for me ... that skimmer (and the OCT180) are _only_ showing up on ebay Australia, and don't really resemble any of the Reef Octopus stuff at Marine Depot. Also noting that the logo on the pictured skimmer doesn't really look like the Reef Octopus logos I've seen about, and my spider sense is tingling . . .

~Bruce

eBay Australia was the only page I could find that had then. As well as on some other auction site (from the same seller) which linked directly to those eBay pages.
I believe that logo is just be one RO Aus uses. It's on other products which are on their website :)

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the previous post. This does not appear to be a skimmer from reef octopus at all. I have been using their skimmers for years and that color combination has never been used on anything of theirs or that style of water level adjuster or the legs its standing on. The name and logo are incorrect and don't go with their current product line at all. I can't imagine why a product that is sold internationally would have a different color scheme, logo, design and name would be different for Australia only. You can go directly to the Reef Octopus home page, which shows all their products and this doesn't show up at all. I'd be wary, just because the title uses the reef octopus name I dont think it's their product.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched to and can't find anything. It seem to be a counterfeit skimmer with the RO logo on it. I could be wrong but I wouldn't take a chance on it. Or you could email or call RO and ask them about the skimmer. I guess they counterfeit everything these days.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous post. This does not appear to be a skimmer from reef octopus at all. I have been using their skimmers for years and that color combination has never been used on anything of theirs or that style of water level adjuster or the legs its standing on. The name and logo are incorrect and don't go with their current product line at all. I can't imagine why a product that is sold internationally would have a different color scheme, logo, design and name would be different for Australia only. You can go directly to the Reef Octopus home page, which shows all their products and this doesn't show up at all. I'd be wary, just because the title uses the reef octopus name I dont think it's their product.

You can see that logo here on the Australian page. It's also printed on all their skimmers in the product section. It's definitely the correct Australian RO logo.
45a9760a22cdedd2b524cd789ba64bf6.png

Thanks for the help everyone.
I may call RO and see if they can give me any info. That's a great idea! Cheers :)

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back