Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 4 Wave Pump - Glass Thickness

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") to use their dry side but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $820 they want for an MP60)

Anyone cross this bridge or have suggestions?

Last edited:

hja99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $'s they want for an MP60)

I have these pumps and my tank glass is 3/4" thick. I bought these magnets from Amazon: Applied Magnets® 2.5" x 1/4" Grade N45 Neodymium Disc Magnet. I also bought a sheet of silicon rubber (Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Rubber Pad Sheet Thin Silicone Rubber Gasket Sheet 12X12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick) and adhered it to the side of the magnet that rests on the glass so they wouldn't slip. I then put the Octo Pulse magnet on the backside of the new ones. They have worked very well for me. I don't know whether they would be strong enough for 1" thick acrylic, but I know you can get stronger ones. If they don't have stronger ones on Amazon, you can do a Google search for rare earth magnets and there are several magnet specialty sites that have tones of different sized and strengths. Reef Octopus does make a stronger magnet ( REEF OCTOPUS Octo Pulse Extra Strong Outer Magnet Mount), but it's like $68 instead of the $30 that I paid.

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these pumps and my tank glass is 3/4" thick. I bought these magnets from Amazon: Applied Magnets® 2.5" x 1/4" Grade N45 Neodymium Disc Magnet. I also bought a sheet of silicon rubber (Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Rubber Pad Sheet Thin Silicone Rubber Gasket Sheet 12X12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick) and adhered it to the side of the magnet that rests on the glass so they wouldn't slip. I then put the Octo Pulse magnet on the backside of the new ones. They have worked very well for me. I don't know whether they would be strong enough for 1" thick acrylic, but I know you can get stronger ones. If they don't have stronger ones on Amazon, you can do a Google search for rare earth magnets and there are several magnet specialty sites that have tones of different sized and strengths. Reef Octopus does make a stronger magnet ( REEF OCTOPUS Octo Pulse Extra Strong Outer Magnet Mount), but it's like $68 instead of the $30 that I paid.
Thanks very much .... I'll check it out

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank that is 1" thick and would like to use the Octo Pulse 4. I see their magnets are rated for a max of 5/8" thickness. I was considering buying the Tunze 6205.500 magnet holder (good for 1") to use their dry side but don't know if it would be compatible with the Octo Pulse?

I wrote Reef Octopus to see if they had a solution, but no response. I could consider going with a Tunze powerhead, but I like the profile and features of the Octo Pulse much more. (I will not spend the $820 they want for an MP60)

Reef octopus solution goes up to 0.83 and costs $69. I'd look into the Diy suggested above.

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back