Reef Octopus VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH)

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to implement a manifold with some reactors running off of it, along with possibly upgrading to a larger tank in the future. I originally was looking at the L1 even for the increased strength. I have a tendency to go larger than I need to justify the need for an upgrade :p
Bigger is always better. Besides the units are controllable so you can dial them down and fine tune if you have ball/gate valves.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios-6 is now running my algae turf scrubber, reactor with pond matrix as well as running my tank. Still 100% silent!

53790D2D-AC60-4752-8E43-AF20786CABDA_zpsdapbuvw7.jpg

E47F225D-7B61-454A-895D-E57C4A2FAEDC_zps2gcovj7x.jpg

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the hunt for a new dc pump as well. I've read a lot of reviews on the Vectra and most of them seem to have heating issues. How does VarioS 4 and 6 do as far as adding heat to the aquarium? How is everyone's Vario running?
I will be using it as a return on a 36g Seahorse tank with a 20g sump and a EcoPlus 1/10 hp chiller. I run the tank now at 73-74'F with fans and it's a stretch living in the south and aiming for 72-73 with the chiller. I do not want to put added pressure/energy consumption on the chiller/system. My plan is to upgrade to a larger tank in a year, so I do want to plan for that now. Feedback?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the varios-6 since October, it's running a reactor, my algae turf scrubber and my return with zero issues. My tank stays at 80 and per the apex my heaters keep it at that temp. The varios will come with fittings you need off of the pump. Great pump!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm on the hunt for a new dc pump as well. I've read a lot of reviews on the Vectra and most of them seem to have heating issues.

I had a Vectra L1 and a M1 and had zero heat issues.
The only heat issue I ever heard of first hand, was the L1's were sending heat warnings through the Reeflink emails.

Last edited:

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Vectra L1 and a M1 and had zero heat issues.
The only heat issue I ever heard of first hand, was the L1's were sending heat warnings through the Reeflink emails.
Did you run them external or internal? I found a thread in another forum and the issue was predominantly running external caused temps on the unit itself as high as 124+ increasing tank temp anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees F. There were some, like yourself with no issue.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you run them external or internal? I found a thread in another forum and the issue was predominantly running external caused temps on the unit itself as high as 124+ increasing tank temp anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees F. There were some, like yourself with no issue.
I plumbed them external.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to swap out my Varios 6 for a Ecotech Vectra. My Varios 6 is only 9months old. It failed two months ago when I was on vacation. No return from the sump for 4-5 days. Main tank temp dropped and salinity had risen due to evaporation. I lost over 3k+ in fish and several acro colonies. Coral Vue believed it was the controller and sent me two separate controllers which didn't correct the problem. Then they sent a new controller and pump. I had to use an old backup pump I had to get things going temporarily. It took them over 2 weeks to get me a working pump/controller. Now 2 weeks ago the new controller/pump started to fail when the pause 15/60 minute feature is used for feeding/WC or if there is a loss of power (either manually turning off the power or complete power outage). The Controller shows power to the unit but goes error mode for 1 hour + The times seem to vary when the pump will come back on. Its as short as an hour and other times its been 5+ hours. I've reached out to Coral Vue endlessly with no response. I like the pump but the frustration with this pump/controller and the headache/$$$$ it has cost me. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on their Skimmer with the Varios.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to swap out my Varios 6 for a Ecotech Vectra. My Varios 6 is only 9months old. It failed two months ago when I was on vacation. No return from the sump for 4-5 days. Main tank temp dropped and salinity had risen due to evaporation. I lost over 3k+ in fish and several acro colonies. Coral Vue believed it was the controller and sent me two separate controllers which didn't correct the problem. Then they sent a new controller and pump. I had to use an old backup pump I had to get things going temporarily. It took them over 2 weeks to get me a working pump/controller. Now 2 weeks ago the new controller/pump started to fail when the pause 15/60 minute feature is used for feeding/WC or if there is a loss of power (either manually turning off the power or complete power outage). The Controller shows power to the unit but goes error mode for 1 hour + The times seem to vary when the pump will come back on. Its as short as an hour and other times its been 5+ hours. I've reached out to Coral Vue endlessly with no response. I like the pump but the frustration with this pump/controller and the headache/$$$$ it has cost me. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on their Skimmer with the Varios.

That is tough! This is the first time I've read about a pump or controller failure, sure wish it hadn't happened and the loss of the fish and coral would be hard to swallow!

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! That is hard to swallow. I'm sorry you lost so much. It really is frustrating when we depend on electronics and they fail us isn't it? Bottom line is that electronic devices fail. That is a given that we have to accommodate for by sustaining backup methods I suppose. Frustrating as that is and for as much as we invest in this hobby I wish there was fail proof equiptment. Alas, we strive on to find it! Thank you for your Feed back. Let us know how the Vectra works out please?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is tough! This is the first time I've read about a pump or controller failure, sure wish it hadn't happened and the loss of the fish and coral would be hard to swallow!
Thanks. I also wish it didn't happen. Maybe it was just a one off thing. I hadn't read anything about bad reviews or failures. Coral Vue has gone downhill IMO. I reached out to them several times as well a few months back about purchasing a Elos Tank. No response.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! That is hard to swallow. I'm sorry you lost so much. It really is frustrating when we depend on electronics and they fail us isn't it? Bottom line is that electronic devices fail. That is a given that we have to accommodate for by sustaining backup methods I suppose. Frustrating as that is and for as much as we invest in this hobby I wish there was fail proof equiptment. Alas, we strive on to find it! Thank you for your Feed back. Let us know how the Vectra works out please?
Thank you. The unexpected definitely comes with the hobby. I'm looking to incorporate a failover pump somehow.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The unexpected definitely comes with the hobby. I'm looking to incorporate a failover pump somehow.

You reached out several times? I have a lot of Reef Octopus equipment and I’m suprised how easy they are to get ahold of. You just email [email protected] and Carlos will email you back. Sometimes I even get a prompt return email on off hours.

I’m also a big fan of Ecotech but IMO they can not touch these pumps. I use Ecotech Radions and Vortechs and the customer service/warranty couldn’t be better. I believe the L1 has been recalled. Through my research they’re a gamble

For reference I have two Varios returns and one on my skimmer and calcium reactor. They’re in their own league.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You reached out several times? I have a lot of Reef Octopus equipment and I’m suprised how easy they are to get ahold of. You just email [email protected] and Carlos will email you back. Sometimes I even get a prompt return email on off hours.

I’m also a big fan of Ecotech but IMO they can not touch these pumps. I use Ecotech Radions and Vortechs and the customer service/warranty couldn’t be better. I believe the L1 has been recalled. Through my research they’re a gamble

For reference I have two Varios returns and one on my skimmer and calcium reactor. They’re in their own league.
I didn't hear back from Carlos for over two weeks on the 3rd round for a replacement. The only alternative he gave me was to send the entire pump/controller in for inspection with a 2 week turn around once they received it. This was the last straw since I had previously dealt with them on 3 different occasions for the varios. I contacted BRS to see what they could do, since I purchased the pump from them. We discussed the issues I had with Coral Vue support and the faulty replacements. They mentioned they've had nothing but negative feed back from the Varios line of pumps and have dealt with quite a few incidents with these pumps. BRS recommended I sell the pump and get something else. Also they advised me they would be moving away from carrying the Varios line of pumps due to the number of issues they've had. That says a lot coming from a distributor.

I understand the Ecotech pumps have had their share of issues but their support is much better that Coral Vue any day of the week.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similiar experience when my Gyrex150 quit after only 3 months.

My RODC2500s on my skimmer has been solid for a few years now.

I keep a spare pump for my aquamaxx skimmer and a few spare main pumps but these DC pumps for skimmers and main pumps dont apoear to have much return on investment for what they cost.

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this pump for a few weeks now and I am extremely satisfied with the flow and how silent it is!

I've been running a varios 6 for about 6 months now with my Apex without any issues. Reliable and super quiet. Very happy with it.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't hear back from Carlos for over two weeks on the 3rd round for a replacement. The only alternative he gave me was to send the entire pump/controller in for inspection with a 2 week turn around once they received it. This was the last straw since I had previously dealt with them on 3 different occasions for the varios. I contacted BRS to see what they could do, since I purchased the pump from them. We discussed the issues I had with Coral Vue support and the faulty replacements. They mentioned they've had nothing but negative feed back from the Varios line of pumps and have dealt with quite a few incidents with these pumps. BRS recommended I sell the pump and get something else. Also they advised me they would be moving away from carrying the Varios line of pumps due to the number of issues they've had. That says a lot coming from a distributor.

I understand the Ecotech pumps have had their share of issues but their support is much better that Coral Vue any day of the week.

That would explain their blow out black Friday sale prices on them.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would explain their blow out black Friday sale prices on them.

I mean, that’s one person in this thread. Your opinion is easily swayed. I picked up two 8’s for Black Friday. These have great reviews, are the only options I see at this price point, and have a two year warranty.

“BRS having nothing but bad feedback” All the pumps have five star reviews with only one bad review I could find on the 6. Why would BRS keep selling a product there having that many issues with?

I would think if this was more of a predominant issue we would see more of it. What pump alternative are you going with?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back