Reef Octopus Varios 8 DC pump issues, am I the only one?

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, trying to figure out if anyone else is having similar issues with this pump.

This pump was highly recommended by the tank builder and was professionally installed by one of their techs 4 months ago.
Right out of the box, I could not get the variable speed control to work with my Apex, tried two different cables, and after extensive troubleshooting, gave up and just plugged it into the outlet used the speed control on the unit.

About a month ago, I started to notice that the pump would just turn off for a couple of minutes and then turn back on. When it was off the two red feed lights illuminated and flashed, then magically, the pump would fire back up again. This seemed to happen once or twice a day. Now, this is a concerning problem since this pump drives 300 gallons of water through two tanks with lots of SPS and LPS corals and concerned that one day, it's not going to turn back on.

Engaged with CoralVue tech support to address the issue of the pump cutting off. First tried a new control module, then a new power supply. The pump continues to have shutdown problem but now it shutdowns for less than a minute BUT it shutdown more frequently than before.
CoralVue tech support says the pump needs to be sent in for repair which puts me a terrible predicament since I don't have any backup pumps remotely close to the same size/ capacity and plumbing as it. I asked for a loaner pump and was denied.

Should I be upset that I only got 3 months of service out of 400 dollar, top of the line pump? Is anyone else having issues with this make/model?

thank you

Last edited:

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 2,4 and 6 - still use most of them. Only issues I have ever had is with impeller freezing up and causing the units to not start on skimmer. Support was helpful, problem happened to me on two units, both around the 1 year mark.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That shouldn’t be happening. I guess I’m lucky? My 8 has been going right at 3 yrs and been cleaned once. Plugged into apex for feed mode.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call again & ask for a supervisor, tell him you want a new pump under warranty & will send back the defective one when you get the new one. They might charge you until it's received so get a proof of delivery.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 2,4 and 6 - still use most of them. Only issues I have ever had is with impeller freezing up and causing the units to not start on skimmer. Support was helpful, problem happened to me on two units, both around the 1 year mark.
What was the cause?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with vinegar. It can weaken epoxies used in pump construction. Many have switched to a weak solution of muriatic acid with water or I've even seen citric acid solutions used. Check out the forum here for more details.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you come to a resolution ?? I know it’s old, but I’m curious at to how things have progressed as I might pull the trigger on a varioS 8. So far I’ve had nothing but terrible results with EcoTech pumps so I’m looking to change things up

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you come to a resolution ?? I know it’s old, but I’m curious at to how things have progressed as I might pull the trigger on a varioS 8. So far I’ve had nothing but terrible results with EcoTech pumps so I’m looking to change things up
Hi, Yes, turns out the controller box was the problem. CoralVue sent a replacement and it's worked perfectly since!

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny to have found this thread, I have 2 varios 6's and a regal 150int. I just found that one of the controllers for my varios6 is making the pump run at like a quarter of what it should be running at. I figured this out by swapping the controllers between my varios6's.

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, trying to figure out if anyone else is having similar issues with this pump.

This pump was highly recommended by the tank builder and was professionally installed by one of their techs 4 months ago.
Right out of the box, I could not get the variable speed control to work with my Apex, tried two different cables, and after extensive troubleshooting, gave up and just plugged it into the outlet used the speed control on the unit.

About a month ago, I started to notice that the pump would just turn off for a couple of minutes and then turn back on. When it was off the two red feed lights illuminated and flashed, then magically, the pump would fire back up again. This seemed to happen once or twice a day. Now, this is a concerning problem since this pump drives 300 gallons of water through two tanks with lots of SPS and LPS corals and concerned that one day, it's not going to turn back on.

Engaged with CoralVue tech support to address the issue of the pump cutting off. First tried a new control module, then a new power supply. The pump continues to have shutdown problem but now it shutdowns for less than a minute BUT it shutdown more frequently than before.
CoralVue tech support says the pump needs to be sent in for repair which puts me a terrible predicament since I don't have any backup pumps remotely close to the same size/ capacity and plumbing as it. I asked for a loaner pump and was denied.

Should I be upset that I only got 3 months of service out of 400 dollar, top of the line pump? Is anyone else having issues with this make/model?

thank you
Did CV ever tell you what the problem was? I am having the exact same issue and I just emailed them tonight. It is the exact same issue with my Varios8. The 2 flashing red lights and shutting off for a minute or so. I have switched controllers and power supplies, etc. I run 2 of them externally on my large system and only one of them does this. Thank you for this post.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back