REEF OF THE MONTH - February 2023: MantisReef's Amazing Peninsula Reef

cfal44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in the regal angelfish, do you have any problems keeping him with your torches?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this GIF by Intel
Love the tank

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, truly breathtaking and also highly inspirational for my wife and I as we are in the early days of our 365g mixed reef tank. Question….could you have been successful in the very early days without the sand. Another words, did it help to get the bio-diversity right in your tank by having the sand and then once established no risk in removing and going bare bottom. I’m asking as we are debating removing the sand from our tank and going barebottom (we have the same starboard installed in the bottom of our tank). However, I worry that our tank is to in-mature (only 9 months old) to remove the sand. Any insights would be appreciated.

IndianReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing all of your insight and expertise in such a clear and concise manner! Congratulations on ROTM, but really in my humble opinion it might be the Reef of the Year, if that's a thing...

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the super kind comments.

Brad, truly breathtaking and also highly inspirational for my wife and I as we are in the early days of our 365g mixed reef tank. Question….could you have been successful in the very early days without the sand. Another words, did it help to get the bio-diversity right in your tank by having the sand and then once established no risk in removing and going bare bottom. I’m asking as we are debating removing the sand from our tank and going barebottom (we have the same starboard installed in the bottom of our tank). However, I worry that our tank is to in-mature (only 9 months old) to remove the sand. Any insights would be appreciated.
You should be fine removing your sand at this point. I don't know how deep your sand bed is, but I would recommend doing it with several small water changes spaced apart, removing 10-20 percent of the sand at a time. Wait a week or 2 and then do it again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back