Reef Perameters

moryan86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to figure out why my Calcium and Alk are so high. I measured my RODI freshly mixed water with InstantvIcean Sea Salt not reef salt. I was wondering why it seemed that my reef tank Mg, Alk, and Calcium are out of whack. My mixed bucket with consists of 20 gallons of RODI salt and water mix shows an Alk reading of 18.9, Ca at 680 and Mg at 2340. Now it would appear that regardless of my salt that I am using it just seems to have elevated trace elements as I’ve used Instant Ocean Reef Salt before and now back to Instant Ocean. Can anyone help me figure out how to get this lowered so my perameters read better numbers that are not so elevated.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad test kits or your refractometer is severely off. I’d say it’s your refractometer since everything is high.

You should be adding about 160 grams of salt per 1 gallon water with Instant Ocean. Mix up one gallon with 160 grams of salt and then test it on your refractometer. See what you get

OP
OP
M

moryan86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m using salifert test kits should I
Bad test kits or your refractometer is severely off. I’d say it’s your refractometer since everything is high.

You should be adding about 160 grams of salt per 1 gallon water with Instant Ocean. Mix up one gallon with 160 grams of salt and then test it on your refractometer. See what you get
ok well I was using an Orapaxi Digital Salinity Meter but even when calibrating it seemed to be out of whack. I ordered a refractometer and it arrived today. I will let you know what my salinity is.

OP
OP
M

moryan86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m using salifert test kits should I

ok well I was using an Orapaxi Digital Salinity Meter but even when calibrating it seemed to be out of whack. I ordered a refractometer and it arrived today. I will let you know what my salinity is.
Just tested my water with a brand new refractometer and my salinity was the issue. I was measuring on the digital at 33.1 and on the refractometer my reading was actually 50 ppt in the replacement water and 55 in my DT. So that is the issue.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When your numbers are off like that and don't make sense always double check the Salinity or have a LFS check it for you.

OP
OP
M

moryan86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest one is close to an hour away but I will keep that in mind but again thank you for the help.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back