Reef PH

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, quick question a few months back I replaced my live rock scape with an established R&R aquascape (ceramic) and ever since my Ph has dropped, I have employed Co2 scrubbers etc that make only the slightest difference. I did hover between 8.1 at night and 8.3 in the day but now it’s around 7.7 at night and 8-8.12 during the day.

I guess the first question is, is this ph detrimental to a reef with mainly SPS ? I have suffered casualties and ICP shows everything ok other than a low iodine reading, low No3 (0.5) and low Po4 (0.01) my alk is now very stable at 7.5 for around 4-5weeks which also became unstable after aquascape replacement.

I don’t want to chase any numbers but I’m told this is way too low for SPS ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. FWIW I also run a refugium on reverse light cycle for 6 hrs any longer and I completely void No3 and Po4. I also want to avoid using chemicals to buffer ph but am up for trying things like sea shells etc if they work without impacting kh ?

thanks in advance ! Matt

ph read with apex ( freshly calibrated)

370206CB-72B3-48F9-80A4-0B45684E7ABF.jpeg

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH swings look normal to me for someone that has elevated CO2 in the air.

However, these do not look right for someone using a CO2 scrubber. I would expect much less pronounced swings.

Are you sure the CO2 scrubber material is fresh and/or being used properly?

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the reactor and media I bought new about 3 weeks ago and is not exhausted (should turn blue) I have it hooked up to the air intake on the skimmer (not the Venturi) mainly because the pipe won’t reach I must say though even with windows open all day there is relatively no change so may not be a co2 issue ?

Attachments

• 47F3F7BA-9AA9-4F5A-90D7-C7E9332615E2.jpeg
    47F3F7BA-9AA9-4F5A-90D7-C7E9332615E2.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 34

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The connection to the skimmer looks right. I had my Nyos hooked up just like that.

However, it's hard to tell from the picture, but:
1. Is the air pulled through the media?
2. The air needs to be damp for the CO2 material to be effective. Is there water somewhere in the scrubber? Usually, you are instructed to put a couple teaspoons somewhere.

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The connection to the skimmer looks right. I had my Nyos hooked up just like that.

However, it's hard to tell from the picture, but:
1. Is the air pulled through the media?
2. The air needs to be damp for the CO2 material to be effective. Is there water somewhere in the scrubber? Usually, you are instructed to put a couple teaspoons somewhere.
No I didn’t add any water, I have heard this before but the instructions in the box did not instruct me to, said it was ready to hook up? Assumed it would get enough moisture from the humidity of being mounted in the sump ?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn’t add any water, I have heard this before but the instructions in the box did not instruct me to, said it was ready to hook up? Assumed it would get enough moisture from the humidity of being mounted in the sump ?

I'm assuming if you followed directions, it should work as expected.

I can tell you that before I made my CO2 recirculating, if my water in the reactor dried out, it wouldn't scrub well...add more water good to go.

Also, the picture wasn't clear. Does the reactor pull air through the media?

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pulls air in through the bottom, through the media and out into the skimmer, I may try adding a little water and see, anyone else using one of these reactors that can advise on their experience with it and if water is required ?

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found soda lime only last about 3 weeks before needing replaced.
Thanks, seems to be as effective now as it did when the media was fresh so I don’t think it’s exhausted, either me doing it wrong, or Co2 isn’t the cause of my low ph (I )

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming if you followed directions, it should work as expected.

I can tell you that before I made my CO2 recirculating, if my water in the reactor dried out, it wouldn't scrub well...add more water good to go.

Also, the picture wasn't clear. Does the reactor pull air through the media?
Also did you notice a vast difference after recirculating in regards to higher or more stable ph or just more economical on media ?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, seems to be as effective now as it did when the media was fresh so I don’t think it’s exhausted, either me doing it wrong, or Co2 isn’t the cause of my low ph (I )

It could also be your skimmer. I specifically oversized my skimmer for CO2 scrubbing. I had a Nyos 160 on my 108gal tank...CO2 pH bump was good. I switched to an Aeraqua Duo and found I could now very quickly push up or down my pH.

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be your skimmer. I specifically oversized my skimmer for CO2 scrubbing. I had a Nyos 160 on my 108gal tank...CO2 pH bump was good. I switched to an Aeraqua Duo and found I could now very quickly push up or down my pH.
Good to know, I’m using a bubble Magus G5 on a 105G tank so maybe not pulling enough air, maybe I could test the theory by removing half of the media

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your comment here contradicts your statement
I did hover between 8.1 at night and 8.3 in the day but now it’s around 7.7 at night and 8-8.12 during the day.

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t, I was stating what I had before swapping the aquascape, since changing my ph is low

OP
OP
Matt1508

Matt1508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t, I was stating what I had before swapping the aquascape, since changing my ph is low
And I was stating it’s as effective now as it was when new IE it’s no worse than when the media was new

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back