Reef Photos Attempt Number 2... Progress

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to make some progress on lighting and details I think. Advice and comments welcome!! Click to see full size photos.

_DSC6498.jpg _DSC6500.jpg _DSC6540.jpg _DSC6474.jpg _DSC6483.jpg _DSC6480.jpg _DSC6527.jpg _DSC6502.jpg _DSC6533.jpg _DSC6498.jpg _DSC6500.jpg _DSC6524.jpg

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Are these photos from a phone or a full camera? The colors also look pretty natural. Are you using LED lights set to more white, or adjusting the camera's white balance? Most reef shots are way too blue.

OP
OP
VashonBigs

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Are these photos from a phone or a full camera? The colors also look pretty natural. Are you using LED lights set to more white, or adjusting the camera's white balance? Most reef shots are way too blue.
Digital SLR camera. I adjust my LED's to a whiter light before I shoot and then adjust color again in Lightroom.

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous, great job! Enlight is a good free app if you want to edit out the little dots... like specks of food/bubbles in the water column. You use the tools -> heal -> patch

At least I think it’s still free... it keeps asking me to upgrade for a fee but I keep declining and it’s still working.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital SLR camera. I adjust my LED's to a whiter light before I shoot and then adjust color again in Lightroom.

Nice work. I do a lot of macro photography of my tank, including macro video with my Nikon D610 camera:

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you already know this, but remember to always focus on the eyes when shooting pics of fish or inverts with eyes... the rest of the pic will generally look good if the eyes are in focus.

That duncan shot is amazing!!

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. I do a lot of macro photography of my tank, including macro video with my Nikon D610 camera:

Wow, beautiful! Are all those corals from your tank? Your pavona looks really happy... mine is pretty new and doesn’t open like that... any tips? Were you feeding?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, beautiful! Are all those corals from your tank? Your pavona looks really happy... mine is pretty new and doesn’t open like that... any tips? Were you feeding?

Yes, these are all in my Reefer XL 425. I target feed Reef Roids to all my corals once per week.

OP
OP
VashonBigs

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of using video w/ macro. I am going to give that a shot. Shooting on a Sony A7R3 and these were my first shots ever on my new Sony FE 90MM F2.8 Macro lens. Still figuring the lens out obviously. Have a custom-built 120G gallon coming from Crystal Dynamic Aquariums next week (ordered it months ago!!), so I am practicing up on my small tank.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice collection of beauties you have there... was the pavona open like that because you had just fed, or does it always open up like that?

My pavona always has good polyp extension, day and night. In fact, I need to keep other corals at a distance because its sweepers can sting them. Sometimes they reach over an inch away.

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pavona always has good polyp extension, day and night. In fact, I need to keep other corals at a distance because its sweepers can sting them. Sometimes they reach over an inch away.
Thanks, maybe I need to move mine, to see if it will Ike a different spot better.

Nico_853853

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the nicest tanks i've seen. How did you get your corals colors to pop so much? I wish my tank looked like that!

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you tell if the lepto is happy or not? I really like how they look but it worries me that I wouldn't be able to tell if they are happy with the placement in the tank since they have little to no polyp extension. Same thing goes for some pavona varieties.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back