reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • I have not gotten ATO up yet, maybe this weekend. But I could see multiple floats being advantageous. Perhaps 1 in ATO container to monitor its level, one in sump to turn off skimmer and send alert of high water level, 1 in tank to alert of high water level.
  • Leak detector.
  • Moonlight phase control
  • Wavemaker/pump control - either variable throughout day, or pulsed. I still have a wavebox I may set on my 90g (does anyone else still use waveboxes anymore?) Having the fine scale adjustment for that would be cool but not extremely necessary.
  • More user selectable telemetry options - since we are limited to 10 feeds (for free) by Adafruit.
  • Checked:Support for multiple ato
  • Checked: leak detector
  • Checked: Wavemaker
  • Telemetry option : Up for debate. Adafruit is launching a plus service 10$/month for unlimited telemetry. I want to have reef-pi to give 7 days history as charts across all the components.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Checked:Support for multiple ato
  • Checked: leak detector
  • Checked: Wavemaker
  • Telemetry option : Up for debate. Adafruit is launching a plus service 10$/month for unlimited telemetry. I want to have reef-pi to give 7 days history as charts across all the components.
As always, you are on top of it!

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have got reef-pi installed on my Pi3 and the Pi3 sitting on my network. All is good on that front.

As I understand it, you're shooting for a full 1.0 release at the end of the year. And from reading this thread, it looks like a lot of the functionality that you're shooting for in the full release works (haven't seen a lot of discussion about the doser, so I'm not sure about that). Maybe some bugs here and there, but you're getting those squashed.

Would I be correct in assuming that the UI is going to undergo some polish? As it stands now, it's there, but parts are a bit confusing, could be presented in a more clear way for the public (i.e. people who haven't followed this thread), along with changes in labeling as well as a "System Status" monitor.

I know that UI programming is a beast in and of itself. One I have no experience it. I've been part of teams that have done interface design (dear god, design by committee is a recipe for disaster...), but not implemented the backend of them.

Having said all that, would now be a good time to offer mock-ups of UI ideas for discussion?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have got reef-pi installed on my Pi3 and the Pi3 sitting on my network. All is good on that front.

As I understand it, you're shooting for a full 1.0 release at the end of the year. And from reading this thread, it looks like a lot of the functionality that you're shooting for in the full release works (haven't seen a lot of discussion about the doser, so I'm not sure about that). Maybe some bugs here and there, but you're getting those squashed.

Would I be correct in assuming that the UI is going to undergo some polish? As it stands now, it's there, but parts are a bit confusing, could be presented in a more clear way for the public (i.e. people who haven't followed this thread), along with changes in labeling as well as a "System Status" monitor.

I know that UI programming is a beast in and of itself. One I have no experience it. I've been part of teams that have done interface design (dear god, design by committee is a recipe for disaster...), but not implemented the backend of them.

Having said all that, would now be a good time to offer mock-ups of UI ideas for discussion?
Yes. You are spot on. Our focus right now is to improve ux/ui , improve documentation and squash any outstanding bug in 1.0 feature set, which is
  • Power controller (relays , timers )
  • Light controller(24 hour cycle)
  • Temperature controller
  • Ato
  • Telemetry
  • Camera
To me this is a good foundation.
This does not mean we can’t have new features in 1.0 other than these (like doser , macros etc), they’ll be just experimental

Last edited:

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib not sure if this may help with the button/status confusion.

On my system I design my buttons to be sliders. The outlet override section I can slide it to off (which turns the outlet off), auto (which then runs the schedule), or on (which turns the outlet on.

The two state slider doesn't have text but mimic most smart phone sliders (as to the right it's 'on'/'enabled' and to the left it's 'off'/'disable'. That might help keep your UI easy to understand. Let me know if you want to know how I made those sliders.

Screenshot_20171014-223645.png

Screenshot_20171014-224303.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib not sure if this may help with the button/status confusion.

On my system I design my buttons to be sliders. The outlet override section I can slide it to off (which turns the outlet off), auto (which then runs the schedule), or on (which turns the outlet on.

The two state slider doesn't have text but mimic most smart phone sliders (as to the right it's 'on'/'enabled' and to the left it's 'off'/'disable'. That might help keep your UI easy to understand. Let me know if you want to know how I made those sliders.

Screenshot_20171014-223645.png

Screenshot_20171014-224303.png
Yeah, your ui makes it very clear and prominent which state the equipment is in.

I never found my equipments ui confusing :) , till others pointed out. Let’s see what other folks say. If it becomes consistently a problem , I’ll revisit it for sure .

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, your ui makes it very clear and prominent which state the equipment is in.

I never found my equipments ui confusing :) , till others pointed out. Let’s see what other folks say. If it becomes consistently a problem , I’ll revisit it for sure .

I know what you mean. I developed a system once and I felt it was fine until I put users in front of it. Then I found out other wise. As a developer you know how it should work so it already understandable to you.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note your UI isn't confusing to me and is an acceptable UI design. In fact I do AV coding in my job and I use the same UI status for projector/equipment status (button labeled says On and color scheme standard when the equipment is off and then switch to saying Off and color scheme to highlight when the equipment is on). If professors can figure that out with no issues then others can as well ;) and should work for your system.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, once all the discussion settled and I wrapped my mind around it, Its not confusing anymore.
I would agree. It all makes sense now. It will be interesting to see if new people that start using it are split with how they infer the button meaning, or if I am in the vast minority for that.
As a note for clarification, Ranjib I think it may make the outlet setup easier if instead of "reverse" it would say NC or Normally Closed. That way it also shows that it is expecting NO by default.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking ahead to getting my sBReefLights in and starting control.
I purchased the 32" Basic, so I will have two circuits to control. While I am digging around inside, I am going to look for a way of dimming the moonlight channel as well.
First test will be 10V PWM, as in the build guide.
breadboard.png

If that works, we are all good.
If that has any issues, there are two other approaches to test out.
The first is to add a low-pass filter on the end of the 10v PWM circuit.
upload_2017-10-15_8-29-3.png

If that doesnt work, a pwm to analog module should be the failsafe solution.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-to-Volt...d=272345411971&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back