• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Corals.com

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Recommendations for the following probes to use with Reef PI;
PH
Salinity
ORP
Not exactly sure if that's a question or a statement... But if it's a question regarding recommendations for probes to be used with ReefPi then:

pH: double junction with BNC connector like an Atlas scientific, Milwaukee, or one sold by BRS. I've got the Milwaukee one from amazon, $40.

As for ORP/Salinity, to my knowledge ReefPi does not support them at this time. @Ranjib will be better suited to answer that.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Due to their high cost, frequent need of calibration and less usefulness (compared to other sensors) I have not tinkered with ec and orp probe.
That being said, I think the ezo ph driver will work as it is for orp and ec as far as reading goes. Calibration and rest needs to be done out of reef-pi using atlas scientific libraries
There you go.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Wonder if any of you gurus could take a new vertex cerebra VII and get it functioning? They are out of business and never finished the raspberry pi based controller. It has a brain, touchscreen and controllable powerbar. I know a guy who got stuck with quite a few and might let someone get one to see what they can do. Just curious ....

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wonder if any of you gurus could take a new vertex cerebra VII and get it functioning? They are out of business and never finished the raspberry pi based controller. It has a brain, touchscreen and controllable powerbar. I know a guy who got stuck with quite a few and might let someone get one to see what they can do. Just curious ....
We can tinker with it and salvage what's usable. It will be really cool if we can get reef-pi running in one of those. I dont know how many custom components it has, and how easy it will be to get those working with reef-pi. If its a lot of work, its probably not worth , since theres only a handful of these units present. But without testing out, its hard to say how much effort involved

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi
@Ranjib, @Michael Lane, @BenB
Thanks for all your help, i connected a second PCA9685 as suggested earlier and it is working fine, i was not brave to use 5V from the goby hat since it is the max PCA can handle so i thought it is best to use 3.3V as standard.
woot :) , keep us posted

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
HELP!!

Got up this morning and the reef-pi is dead. Nothing running. NOt sure when this happened. Was fine last night at around 23H00 but no Alerts from the 05H30 water change that should have happened this morning.

Rebooted the Pi and got the following from the screen connected to it.

Has the card died?

0171de75991e7ffb6678c53f7c14a83be0b10a4ac0.jpg
01be4128ad86a089bb64baee02405b910b42aac4d8.jpg

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
HELP!!

Got up this morning and the reef-pi is dead. Nothing running. NOt sure when this happened. Was fine last night at around 23H00 but no Alerts from the 05H30 water change that should have happened this morning.

Rebooted the Pi and got the following from the screen connected to it.

Has the card died?

0171de75991e7ffb6678c53f7c14a83be0b10a4ac0.jpg
01be4128ad86a089bb64baee02405b910b42aac4d8.jpg
From the log it looks like Sd card got corrupted

Top Shelf Aquatics

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
From the log it looks like Sd card got corrupted
Bought a new card and started it from scratch. All up and running again.

I must say, Raspbian does seem a lot more responsive on my touch screen. Who know how long this card was on it's way out.

I bought two identical cards. Once I'm happy with the setup, I will cut an .img and flash the other card and keep it as a spare. Should have done that ages ago.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks, Des. Out of curiosity besides the tinkering factor do you think this will still be viable option to Apex once the Coralife Hydros 4 is released?
I'm afraid I am not familiar at all with the Apex unit at all. In South Africa, they are prohibitively expensive. I doubt there are more than a handful in the whole country.

Apart from the tinkering factor, that is my main reason for going the reef-pi route.

https://www.omegasea.net/

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Bought a new card and started it from scratch. All up and running again.

I must say, Raspbian does seem a lot more responsive on my touch screen. Who know how long this card was on it's way out.

I bought two identical cards. Once I'm happy with the setup, I will cut an .img and flash the other card and keep it as a spare. Should have done that ages ago.
Probably not too long. It’s not like mechanical drives that die a slow death. SDcards, m2, SSDs usually just go belly up all of a sudden. The new card may just have have better r/rw than the last one.

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
I have found out one very odd thing.. If I connect led pwm signal wire to raspberry then my ph rises to 12;) I control leds with ir520 mosfet. This was just a test, so I can build new light fixture. So seams like something is making noise hire.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a way to go manually via terminal and delete an ATO from reefpi? Trying to avoid resetting config.

I can't seem to be able to delete ATOs from the UI. I've tried untying them from any equipment and sensors and still won't delete.

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 173 43.9%
  • Every Month

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 47 11.9%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 44 11.2%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 18 4.6%