reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hivemind,
I have just cut a new minor release 4.1, for reef-pi. It brings one useful improvement, the ability to set custom upper and lower limit for Y axis of temperature and ph chart. This was causing significant pain in 4.0 release. Other than this important change there are some minor improvements in timer and doser UI, the schedule component is now distinctly isolated to avoid confusion (as noted in the previous posts) . Theres some internationalization and tech chores that went in as well.

Release builds can be found in usual locations: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.1
if you are a 4.1 user, you can use the UI to upgrade your reef-pi straight from there :)

happy reefing,
Thanks for the UI update i was wondering what was going on with that....
However the temp sensor tab the chart color does not change.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my with the reef pi providing primary control. The reasons I run like this are. The relays I use for the reef pi are a better quality than the relay in the heater. The temp probe of the reef pi is more accurate. I can program a hysteresis that I desire. And I can monitor heater usage in reef pi. For my setup I set the heater controller about 1 degree higher than the reef pi.

for your scenario with the reef pi as the fail safe and the heater as the primary control; set the heater 1 degree or so cooler than the reef pi.

Last edited:

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my with the reef pi providing primary control. The reasons I run like this is. The relays I use for the reef pi are a better quality than the relay in the heater. The temp probe of the reef pi is more accurate. I can program a hysteresis that I desire. And I can monitor heater usage in reef pi. For my setup I set the heater controller about 1 degree higher than the reef pi.

for your scenario with the reef pi as the fail safe and the heater as the primary control; set the heater 1 degree or so cooler than the reef pi.
Pi being primary makes sense, but I can't with these heaters. They have a boot up when power comes on.

I like your suggestion setting it a degree higher. I dont see how to get my temp probe to manage 2 heaters though...

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pi being primary makes sense, but I can't with these heaters. They have a boot up when power comes on.

I like your suggestion setting it a degree higher. I dont see how to get my temp probe to manage 2 heaters though...
Create 2 temperature controllers. Use the same temp probe in each but have them control different equipment.

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why are my temp sensors not being identified by the pi? only one sensor has been discovered and when a second temp probe is plugged in the first one reads 1 and the new one dosnt show up in the sensor list. i have no idea what im doing programming wise just so you know.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you think this can help with some cases I think it's worth it, I'm going to add it to my boards and that's awesome Ranjib might work it into the driver. Thanks again for the schematic, I would have never thought the pullup could go to a GPIO, that could be really useful for changing port configuration through software. That'll be useful when I have my dream controller finished in 10 years. :)
10 years is 4 reef year :) . Reef-pi is almost 5 years old already

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why are my temp sensors not being identified by the pi? only one sensor has been discovered and when a second temp probe is plugged in the first one reads 1 and the new one dosnt show up in the sensor list. i have no idea what im doing programming wise just so you know.
For temperature probe there is no programming involved. If you are not seeing the sensor it’s a circuit/probe issue . Let me catch up on your thread

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so simple, but was totally not seeing it! Thank you!
Here is a wrinkly I have my heaters on normally closed relays so the controller is turning them off when its lower than max temp. Is there a way to flip this? I would prefer if my controller stops working that my heaters remain on, but I can move them to normally open if necessary.

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a wrinkly I have my heaters on normally closed relays so the controller is turning them off when its lower than max temp. Is there a way to flip this? I would prefer if my controller stops working that my heaters remain on, but I can move them to normally open if necessary.
Perhaps just control them as chillers?

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps just control them as chillers?
Test it and see if you get the response you want. That is probably the best way to see how it works.

chillers should turn on and stay on any time the temperature is above target.

heaters turn on and stay on any time the temperature is below target.

but I think the option you will want is to reverse the outlet on the configuration-connectors tab.

you can use ice and hot water to test how the system would respond.

brian.badge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test it and see if you get the response you want. That is probably the best way to see how it works.

chillers should turn on and stay on any time the temperature is above target.

heaters turn on and stay on any time the temperature is below target.

but I think the option you will want is to reverse the outlet on the configuration-connectors tab.

you can use ice and hot water to test how the system would respond.
You are right thank you!

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For temperature probe there is no programming involved. If you are not seeing the sensor it’s a circuit/probe issue . Let me catch up on your thread
you were correct! im an idiot and had a wire in the wrong place.

i did get the sensors hooked up and put on the dashboard. sensor 1 is displaying incorrectly on the dashboard but is reading correctly in the temperature-calibrate-current reading area. the second sensor seems to be functioning correctly.

Attachments

• 2021-01-23-210108_3440x1440_scrot.png
    2021-01-23-210108_3440x1440_scrot.png
    421.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you were correct! im an idiot and had a wire in the wrong place.

i did get the sensors hooked up and put on the dashboard. sensor 1 is displaying incorrectly on the dashboard but is reading correctly in the temperature-calibrate-current reading area. the second sensor seems to be functioning correctly.
No need to curse yourself. This is a learning project, we have all been there. Do you know if you swap the wire (+ve and GND) then the sensor gets hot to an extent that it can burn your finger. Dont ask me how I know this.

And the burning marks in my finger had nothing to with it, its purely coincidental ;)

JeremyKnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to curse yourself. This is a learning project, we have all been there. Do you know if you swap the wire (+ve and GND) then the sensor gets hot to an extent that it can burn your finger. Dont ask me how I know this.

And the burning marks in my finger had nothing to with it, its purely coincidental ;)
Yes I did get both sensors to show, the issue I’m having now is one of them is not displaying the correct temperature. The probe is at room temperature as checked with an ir gun. It is reading correct in the calibration tab but not displaying correctly in the dashboard

see screenshot

Both sensors are showing. The first sensor is not displaying the correct temperature on the dashboard but is reading correct in the calibration tab. The probe is at room temperature and verified with an ir temperature gun.
See screenshots

0AF12E51-6D31-4190-8907-D2B92E256E1E.png A2B7BE73-14D2-4FDE-951C-923FDE99A0D2.png 3C32109E-281C-41D8-B64F-E41EAFBE7AA3.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years is 4 reef year :) . Reef-pi is almost 5 years old already
Nice, my first controller sale was Sept 16, 2015. I've learned so much over the years but still know so little, need 10 more years to build my skills and at that time I'll have the ultimate controller, Apex will be shaking at the knees. :)

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, just wanted to throw out a reef-pi idea for you. I have figured out a way to use a non-contact optical water level sensor with my Skimmer to detect overflow. I use the ATO feature and invert the skimmer output. so when the sensor sees water it will turn the skimmer off. Here is the sensor I used - it is much smaller in person - just need to add a pullup for the NPN signal to work. I only wish I could tell reefpi to modify the on and off color bars since it is inverted in this case. I cant imagine I'm the only one who fears the occasional skimmer overflow lol EDIT**That pic shows the PNP part but I bought the NPN part**
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back