reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been playing with prometheus and grafana and have things kind of working but scratching my head on something. If I go back in time to look at a piece of equipment say -2days it shows me no data, but if I go back like 12 hours it does show data. Is there a retention setting somewhere in Grafana that I missed to set up, just not sure why it doesnt show me the historical data when I look back.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, figured it out needed to increase my maximum data points to have it show me the data, so many knobs so much to learn. If anyone has any cheatsheets for grafana and what they have done with reefpi, let me know. Would love to see it etc... :)

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, figured it out needed to increase my maximum data points to have it show me the data, so many knobs so much to learn. If anyone has any cheatsheets for grafana and what they have done with reefpi, let me know. Would love to see it etc... :)

I thought you where making notes for the rest of us! :cool:

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a technical Reef-Pi subject, but thought I would share. I wanted to add a monitor to my tank, as I am always forgetting my phone when its feeding time and I wanted to be able to walk over in the morning and see how things are doing. I thought about using an old Iphone (which you can do) but I had an old Ipad Mini and decided to use that. Works great and just what i needed. I made a mount for it that goes on the tank. Here is it.
IPad Hanger V2 3D.JPG

I printed it last night, came out great. Just figure I would share in case anyone has any interest in doing something similar. Can be scaled for phone, bigger ipad, other tablet, etc.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts about why my Ph graphs look like this? It has all the data points but no graph. I've rebooted and no luck as well as deleted the ph Sensor from the page, and the ph sensor device itself. Im running 4.1 from the official repo. Also why is the current pH reading out to like 15 decimal places.

Reefpi2.PNG

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts about why my Ph graphs look like this? It has all the data points but no graph. I've rebooted and no luck as well as deleted the ph Sensor from the page, and the ph sensor device itself. Im running 4.1 from the official repo. Also why is the current pH reading out to like 15 decimal places.

Reefpi2.PNG
The decimal places can't be edited (yet) and any chance your graph color is set to white?

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-Pi controlled Jebao Wave Maker

Hi

I have 3 Jebao WM and I wanted to override their native controller to generate random flow in the tank. I researched the subject and came with no clear solution. There is plenty of data on return pump control, however the situation is different with WM as there is variable modes with different wave forms.

I bought a used WM for this project and as you see from the pic there is a central controller and 3 buttons (speed/feed, Mode/night, and WiFi link/lock), on the back there is the WiFi chip.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 9.30.13 PM (5).jpeg

The 3 wire going out for the motor are positive, negative, and yellow one for the signal. The voltage on the + and – wires is always fixed at 24V. The yellow wire changes from 3.6 to 4.9 V, and is variable with the mode selected.

Being not able to control the central controller or the Wifii chip. I tried to connect the control buttons with relay switches. I connected the positive end of the speed and mode buttons to the NO side of RS, and the negative end to the comm. Then controlled the RS with reef pi, and it worked nicely.
20210123_094647 (Large).jpg

For those with Jebao WM, you know that the speed button increase the speed with each press to max then decrease to the lowest and then back up again, to overcome this and start from the same speed each time you want to change the speed to the desired new setting for the required time, then when it is time to return back to the original speed you do a full cycle that is bring the speed to lowest first then back to the original speed. For example from 4 to 6 you turn the relay 2 times, however from 6 back to 4 you turn the relay 12 times so that next time you run your macro it will go from 4 to 6 and not from 4 to 2.
2 move macro.png

speed from 4 to 6.png

speed from 6 to 4.png

I hope this helps and if you have any suggestions or better ways to write the macros you are welcome to share.

Attachments

• 20210127_200431 (Large).jpg
    20210127_200431 (Large).jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 49

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a place to set the graph color? All ive done is setup a 2x2 grid and put in my temp and ph probes, i see nowhere to set colors?
Now that you mention it, I am not sure the PH graph is editable. I am not in a position to verify, but can check later. Perhaps someone else will chime in on that. Browser issue?

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you mention it, I am not sure the PH graph is editable. I am not in a position to verify, but can check later. Perhaps someone else will chime in on that. Browser issue?
Color of pH graph is editable in pH section. I've just changed the color on mine.

It doesn't seem to work on temperature though.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone implemented a CO2 probe?

I have seen a lot of people love the kh guardian. But I’m too cheap for it.

then I ran across an article that seneye was using a ph probe and dissolved co2 probe to infer alkalinity. This sounds cheap enough to me! I already have the ph probe. I just need To know the co2 and do some math and correlations.

though I can’t find a sensor to buy. So maybe I answered my own question.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone implemented a CO2 probe?

I have seen a lot of people love the kh guardian. But I’m too cheap for it.

then I ran across an article that seneye was using a ph probe and dissolved co2 probe to infer alkalinity. This sounds cheap enough to me! I already have the ph probe. I just need To know the co2 and do some math and correlations.

though I can’t find a sensor to buy. So maybe I answered my own question
A friend and I were talking about the Kh Director and I remember Ranjib mentioning titration as a feature that was being worked on. We have pH measurement and doser control. My mate was if the opinion should be a relatively simple thing to write some script that takes a sample, adds something like vinegar and reads the change in pH and with some maths arrives at the Kh reading. The benefit of using vinegar as a reagent is that the sample can be dumped into the tank as a carbon source.

My mate was interested in pursuing this as a DIY project, but life and kids got in the way

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mate was interested in pursuing this as a DIY project, but life and kids got in the way
I live that!!! Haha

a couple of dosing pumps would be needed. One for vinegar, one for tank water. Then a way to dump the sample. Rotary actuator/servo? The dosers need to be very accurate too. I haven’t seen enough accuracy for this from the jebao doser.

this sounds like a fun project actually. I think stepper motor integration is an enabler.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live that!!! Haha

a couple of dosing pumps would be needed. One for vinegar, one for tank water. Then a way to dump the sample. Rotary actuator/servo? The dosers need to be very accurate too. I haven’t seen enough accuracy for this from the jebao doser.

this sounds like a fun project actually. I think stepper motor integration is an enabler.
I'm currently in the preparation phase for exactly that. Would use titration grade hydrochloric acid though, not random vinegar. Breakdown products of that reaction are chloride and carbonic acid iirc. Vinegar would be (relatively strong) carbon dosing,even if you could get your hands on one with precise concentration.

As for pumps, look at the ones that only have 1mm inner tube diameter. The "normal" ones on all the dosers are kamoer NKP pumps or clones of them. I can get +-0.3ml 0.3 +-0.05ml with the 1mm tubing ones no problem. For titration there's the more precise, and stepper driven KFS and Kas, also by kamoer, probably also best to use 1mm or something in that range.

Edit:wrote down the accuracy wrong, I can dose consistent 0.3ml, I don't have an error of 0.3ml

Last edited:

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the preparation phase for exactly that. Would use titration grade hydrochloric acid though, not random vinegar. Breakdown products of that reaction are chloride and carbonic acid iirc. Vinegar would be (relatively strong) carbon dosing,even if you could get your hands on one with precise concentration.

As for pumps, look at the ones that only have 1mm inner tube diameter. The "normal" ones on all the dosers are kamoer NKP pumps or clones of them. I can get +-0.3ml with the 1mm tubing ones no problem. For titration there's the more precise, and stepper driven KFS and Kas, also by kamoer, probably also best to use 1mm or something in that range.
I am a fan kamoer! I just setup a couple of KHS with 3x6mm tube for pulling water from my basement. They are a bit loud but work well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back