Reef PI control lighting

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Would like to be able to use reef pi to control my tank lighting. What do I need to do this? Is there anyone who puts out the controller board that I would not have to solder it together? I can solder but boards and me rarley ever work out when I am done with them, Besides earning a trip to the trash can.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leviathan board also has this and I think Michael Lane has a board as well. Shop around, you have a few options!
Reached out to them on here lets see if I hear back. Leviathan has a lot of information out there but does not seem to have any place to buy the hardware or a way via the websites to contact him.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lstmysock11 This depends on what you are trying to control. Do you already have a light set up that you would like to control, or are you looking to choose a light? reef-pi is very flexible, so it can be difficult to offer advice if there aren't enough constraints defined.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lstmysock11 This depends on what you are trying to control. Do you already have a light set up that you would like to control, or are you looking to choose a light? reef-pi is very flexible, so it can be difficult to offer advice if there aren't enough constraints defined.
Nicrew led lights and will be using robotank with Reef-pi to control them

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicrew led lights and will be using robotank with Reef-pi to control them
I am doing the same thing, it is not in production yet, but with nicrew hyper reef light and Kessil lights it is super simple. Rob provided me this for the Kessil lights,
1617412898634.png
Except on the Nicrew

blue is trip.
Ring is White

Set switches to 0-10 analog or the lights will flicker

1617413089799.png

I would take a video, however i got light boxed up because i plan to return it because after i bought the 100w. I see the 150W for 4 dollars more.--- I didnt know that it was labeled used, but i will see how it goes. (I am hoping someone just returned because it didn't have the mount )

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Nicrew light, but if they have a plug for 0-10v, then @swisschris104's description should get you sorted.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same thing, it is not in production yet, but with nicrew hyper reef light and Kessil lights it is super simple. Rob provided me this for the Kessil lights,
1617412898634.png
Except on the Nicrew

blue is trip.
Ring is White

1617413089799.png

I would take a video, however i got light boxed up because i plan to return it because after i bought the 100w. I see the 150W for 4 dollars more.--- I didnt know that it was labeled used, but i will see how it goes. (I am hoping someone just returned because it didn't have the mount )
I guess I need to update that image, it's great they both have the same pinout.

@Michael Lane nice to see you back. The Nicrew lights have the same 3.5mm input so easy for people to use, I know a few people using them and say they are decent.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to update that image, it's great they both have the same pinout.

@Michael Lane nice to see you back. The Nicrew lights have the same 3.5mm input so easy for people to use, I know a few people using them and say they are decent.
Nah, I think yours is up to date for kessil, nicrew just decided to bless us with a light that’s easy to control without opening the case, removing the water proof silicon and cutting/soldiering wires . Hopefully it takes off kessil learns and brings it back =(.

I would have loved to get a ap700 or two 360x or waited for the a500x, but for that amount of money, I would like for it to work on my controller. Epically since the apex is so popular now and there are few “apex ready” lights. (Rant)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I think yours is up to date for kessil, nicrew just decided to bless us with a light that’s easy to control without opening the case, removing the water proof silicon and cutting/soldiering wires . Hopefully it takes off kessil learns and brings it back =(.

I would have loved to get a ap700 or two 360x or waited for the a500x, but for that amount of money, I would like for it to work on my controller. Epically since the apex is so popular now and there are few “apex ready” lights. (Rant)
I just meant change the name on pic to Kessil / Nicrew as they are both the same. Yeah it's getting hard to find lights easy to connect, I was just made aware of the Nicrew a few weeks ago and still excited about it. There should be a law, no plug, no sell. :)

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lstmysock11 I got my Nicrew 150s today, and I am returning them. The light output and color is great, but the fans are way too loud for me, like a old dusty computer.. Just a FYI. I am sticking with the 100, and if i decide later down the road. It has some audible fan noise but nothing like the 150

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lstmysock11 I got my Nicrew 150s today, and I am returning them. The light output and color is great, but the fans are way too loud for me, like a old dusty computer.. Just a FYI. I am sticking with the 100, and if i decide later down the road. It has some audible fan noise but nothing like the 150
That stinks, thanks for letting us know. I guess they could be replaced with Noctua fans, those are very quiet but don't move as much air either.

Cristianvf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1617412898634.png
Except on the Nicrew

blue is trip.
Ring is White

1617413089799.png

Hello, did you complete your setup? I have the same components but when I dim the Nicrew using the Robo-Tank the light starts flickering, pretty much on every setting but 100%.
I try everithing, different wire, different port, changed the jumpers, the driver in the configuration.
Any ideas?
Thanks

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, did you complete your setup? I have the same components but when I dim the Nicrew using the Robo-Tank the light starts flickering, pretty much on every setting but 100%.
I try everithing, different wire, different port, changed the jumpers, the driver in the configuration.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Hi Cristian, in reef-pi can you go to configuration, drivers and edit the pca9685 driver, there change the frequency to 1500. After you save it go to the "admin" tab and press the "reload" button. That should get it straightened out. Also set the dip switches for the channels you are using to 0-10v analog, the top switch should be on and bottom switch off.

Cristianvf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cristian, in reef-pi can you go to configuration, drivers and edit the pca9685 driver, there change the frequency to 1500. After you save it go to the "admin" tab and press the "reload" button. That should get it straightened out. Also set the dip switches for the channels you are using to 0-10v analog, the top switch should be on and bottom switch off.
Hi Rob, Thanks for your reply. I changed the frequency and it worked perfectly.

profc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this old thread and say thank you to @robsworld78, the community, and bless this thread for future search optimization. I struggled for a number of hours last night trying to get my Nicrew Hyperreef 100watt light working with reef-pi and robo-tank. This trick worked perfectly! The flicker is completely gone now.

BTW, they changed the fan design in the HyperReef. It's very quiet now. Great light.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this old thread and say thank you to @robsworld78, the community, and bless this thread for future search optimization. I struggled for a number of hours last night trying to get my Nicrew Hyperreef 100watt light working with reef-pi and robo-tank. This trick worked perfectly! The flicker is completely gone now.

BTW, they changed the fan design in the HyperReef. It's very quiet now. Great light.
Glad you got it going, how old is your controller?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back