Reef Pi controlling Black box Chinese lights

  • Thread starter Thread starter Willbiker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Willbiker

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2020
Messages
607
Reaction score
233
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Ive been looking into how I can add a controller to my 2x chinese back box lights (like mars aqua but unbranded). The best option I could find was an apex controller. The job looks quite easy but the price of these controllers is high.

A few years ago i made a Raspberry PI controlled Irrigation system for my garden with great success. So I thought as I have the hardware, why not give reef pi a go to control the lights.

I've found a number of threads and videos on the topic but they seem quite old and most people seem to have made their own circuits. I understand there are plug and play PWM boards which will act as the interface to the lights. I don't mind getting the soldering iron out but id prefer to find a plug and play board if possible.

Whats the simplest hardware setup I can go for? Any links to suitable pwm boards and tutorials would be much appreciated.

thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new