Reef pi how to have lights come on and go off without dimming

CarissaT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m running reef pi on my freshwater tank and I just want the lights to come on full blast and then turn off. I would have thought the diurnal setting would do this but it’s still dimming the lights prior to turning them off. The mosfets I have make a horrible high pitched squeal when dimming lights so I just want a timer for on or off. Any way to do this in the software?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m running reef pi on my freshwater tank and I just want the lights to come on full blast and then turn off. I would have thought the diurnal setting would do this but it’s still dimming the lights prior to turning them off. The mosfets I have make a horrible high pitched squeal when dimming lights so I just want a timer for on or off. Any way to do this in the software?
Why dim at all? Remove the mosfet and and all dimming circuit if possible and just control the power outlet with timer. If that’s not past let then keep the dimming circuit but use a time to actually turn on/off power when the intensity is 100%

OP
OP
C

CarissaT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sets of lights I want controlled independently and they are on one power supply. So an old fashioned timer won’t work.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sets of lights I want controlled independently and they are on one power supply. So an old fashioned timer won’t work.
L293d , the dosing circuit ic , is capable of doing something like this. It should allow you to switch on/off those two channels independently as regular timers. Check out the adafruit blog on how they work, happy to answer specific question if you can share the current circuit

OP
OP
C

CarissaT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Deleted light channels and changed to dosing pump instead, works as needed!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back