Reef pi lights

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
I didn't want to clog up the reef Pi thread. I currently use a storm x for my led set up. I've been using it for awhile but it's limitations have me looking for something else. I saw that there was a build that converted the pwm to 10v to control kessils, but is there a build using the standard pwm to control something like mean well drivers? Building my lights was easy, but this stuff is way over my head currently.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for starting a new thread.
I know at least one post in that thread that has some details around using Meanwell driver. I did some research on this as well and my conclusion was this is pretty easy. I am not personally using it. But if you tell me the driver type, we can deduce what control voltage is required and then come up with the circuit.
#reefpi

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I think I'm going to go ahead and take this on as a new project. Since the mean wells use a 5v pwm signal, I won't need any of the transistors and resistors used in the build guide for the kessil right? I'm getting my materials ready to order from adafruit. If you would, let me know if you have any suggestions on stuff I should pick up specifically from adafruit, considering that $10 shipping fee. Here is what I have in my cart so far:

pi 3 b+
PCA9685
5v 2A for PCA9685 (already have the 5v supply for the pi)
Right angle headers
Female DC power adapter

I already a bunch of jumpers and a small bread board. For the time being I will only be using for lighting control.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response , some how I missed your earlier post. The driver looks perfect , your materials are also spot on I think . When you initially setup reef-pi , update the pca9645 frequency from configuration tab , only if needed. The driver expect 10 to 1000 frequency, pca9685 can do up to 1.5k, but by default it’s 826, so it should work without any changes

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to pick this back up in a month or so. The project got sidelined with school and work. I'll post back when I get it up and running. Or if I run in to trouble and need some help. :confused:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to pick this back up in a month or so. The project got sidelined with school and work. I'll post back when I get it up and running. Or if I run in to trouble and need some help. :confused:
No worries, take your time. Family and work is always more important :) . We'll be right here as and when you need help

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back