Reef ready tank or drill myself?

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after going through a very recent debacle of purchasing a used 175 bowfront and deciding to not use it, I’m going to upgrade my 72 bowfront with either a brand new 180 or 210. I know the internal overflows on the reef ready tanks take up a lot of space but I can’t decide if I should get that or standard tank to drill myself. Also, if I drill it, I’d appreciate opinions on which overflow to buy. Thanks

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I purchased a Planet aquarium tank with their external overflow. I ended up ditching the overflow because it was almost impossible to make it run quiet. I ended up buying an Exotic Marine overflow that was dead silent. I think most manufacturer's will drill the tank for you if you can send them a template. In my case since the tank was already set up Exotic made a template and sent for me to make sure it matched up to the holes on the tank.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a built in internal overflow. No garbage siphon break problems and great surface skimming.
This reminded me of another point. I was lucky that I had room behind the tank to deal with any issues with the plumbing. If you have it against the wall it'll be impossible to do anything with the plumbing unlike with the internal where the plumbing is underneath in the stand.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jimbo662 has some very good points re. external overflows. However if it was me, no matter whether you go w internal or external overflow, I'd highly recommend going with bean animal bc they are dead silent. Here's an example of Exotic Marine external that @benapilot used, can't hear any water

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminded me of another point. I was lucky that I had room behind the tank to deal with any issues with the plumbing. If you have it against the wall it'll be impossible to do anything with the plumbing unlike with the internal where the plumbing is underneath in the stand.
That’s a great point I didn’t think of. I will have the tank against the wall so I’d never be able to get back there unless it’s drained. Thanks for mentioning that!

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jimbo662 has some very good points re. external overflows. However if it was me, no matter whether you go w internal or external overflow, I'd highly recommend going with bean animal bc they are dead silent. Here's an example of Exotic Marine external that @benapilot used, can't hear any water

Now if each internal overflow only has 2 holes, 1 drain, 1 return, I couldn’t do a bean animal, right?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer internal boxes. I have seen external boxes leak a few times. I have also been told by some tank builders that they don't think the external boxes are the best for structural strength long term.

How long term? I don't know but I plan on having tanks up for a decade or more so I prefer the longest lasting I can get.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just have to decide between the 180 and 210...that’s a whole other issue lol. I’ve read all the opinions but still can’t pull the trigger yet

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just have to decide between the 180 and 210...that’s a whole other issue lol. I’ve read all the opinions but still can’t pull the trigger yet
If you ask me the stand height is a major factor on a 30in stand it isn't that difficult to get into a 30in tall tank but on a 36in or 40in tall stand it can be pretty hard.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In general, bigger is always better... that said, though, are the 30 extra gallons in a 'useful' dimension, or does going up the extra 30 gallons enable you to keep something you couldn't otherwise?

If it were me: If I'm getting the extra 30 gallons by just having the tank be taller, I'd stick with the 180. If you get extra width or length, then I'd go with the 210. Assuming I could afford the price difference, of course.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upgrade and go reef ready. One boo-boo and youve lost a tank and expense

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here. I’d rather buy a tank pre-drilled. Why take the risk of destroying a tank when someone else can take the risk for you. There are a lot of folks who say drilling is easy and I also see threads where someone drills and there‘s a chip out. Everyone says get rid of the tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if you have not yet check out the prices and tanks at glass cages. joe is the man I have not yet bought a tank form him but had many convos vis PM.

anyway there 300 is priced really well and the dems. at 8'x30x24 is perfect. you could even go 10 footer with a 375 my dream tank!
check out there FB page or Pm @joe@glasscages if you have any questions.

IMHO there better tanks than the standard petco marinland and the like. + you can have it drillerd for ext. overflow or have made internal.

best of luck!

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How experienced are you, and are you going glass or acrylic (I’d guess the former)? For me an aftermarket ghost-style overflow beats the mass market internals every day and twice on Sunday. Frankly, the internal ones just suck. Perhaps the LFS would drill it for you. 210 over 180. Modular Marine, EMS or Fiji LoPro for the overflow.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, bigger is always better... that said, though, are the 30 extra gallons in a 'useful' dimension, or does going up the extra 30 gallons enable you to keep something you couldn't otherwise?

If it were me: If I'm getting the extra 30 gallons by just having the tank be taller, I'd stick with the 180. If you get extra width or length, then I'd go with the 210. Assuming I could afford the price difference, of course.
I completely agree with what you’re saying. I think I’m leaning towards the 210 simply because I like that it’s not square and it has the larger viewing area

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have not yet check out the prices and tanks at glass cages. joe is the man I have not yet bought a tank form him but had many convos vis PM.

anyway there 300 is priced really well and the dems. at 8'x30x24 is perfect. you could even go 10 footer with a 375 my dream tank!
check out there FB page or Pm @joe@glasscages if you have any questions.

IMHO there better tanks than the standard petco marinland and the like. + you can have it drillerd for ext. overflow or have mad internal.

best of luck!
I was considering glass cages. If I brought that size tank into the house, I’d be thrown out of the house lol

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How experienced are you, and are you going glass or acrylic (I’d guess the former)? For me an aftermarket ghost-style overflow beats the mass market internals every day and twice on Sunday. Frankly, the internal ones just suck. Perhaps the LFS would drill it for you. 210 over 180. Modular Marine, EMS or Fiji LoPro for the overflow.
I’ve had my 72g for 4 years now but with a HOB overflow so I’m not really experienced with anything else and yes I’m going with glass. I’m not too worried about drilling it myself, I just wanted to see what everyone thought. 210 is definitely what I was favoring too

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant how experienced at drilling tanks LOL. It is not hard, but a little experience does help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back