Reef ready tank or drill myself?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go reef-ready. But that's probably because I'm losing interest in the hobby and don't have the ambition for it the way I used to.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant how experienced at drilling tanks LOL. It is not hard, but a little experience does help.
Oh gotcha lol. I thought you were asking for another reason. I’ve never drilled a tank but I’m in construction so I do have experience drilling fragile materials and using diamond hole saws

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'll be good. Same concept as a wet saw. Lots of water and take your time .....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to have some access. 210 is only 24" wide so getting to the top of the external box is pretty easy. It's rare, but not unheard of, that you'll need to get to the plumbing under the external box. I usually mount the overflow towards one end of the tank so that I can reach more easily.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to have some access. 210 is only 24" wide so getting to the top of the external box is pretty easy. It's rare, but not unheard of, that you'll need to get to the plumbing under the external box. I usually mount the overflow towards one end of the tank so that I can reach more easily.
That makes sense. And then I suppose it’s better to get one of the higher gph boxes with 3 drain holes? Separate question, would you drill for 2 return nozzles?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't personally drill through the back for the returns. In order to maintain safe boundary distances with the diamond drill, the return ends up being too far down and drain back is a problem (I don't use/like check valves). So, I just go over the rim. Mine is an eurobraced acrylic tanks, so I was able to drill through the brace, but over the rim works fine too. Use black PVC and it's quite unobtrusive. I just use a single return because I'm pumping back from the basement and need to eliminate any and all possible friction losses - so no Ts, minimal elbows and no locline.

IMG_0755.JPG

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled is the way to go, I do however have a life reef overflow box that has never lost syphon and I dont worry about it. I do have a level sensor in the tank in case it fails however lol.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for staying away from "reef ready" and drilling yourself. Those megaflow type things take up way too much space.

Then you'll be good. Same concept as a wet saw. Lots of water and take your time .....
Another tip, along with the water, that I would give is to make a template of some kind. Those hole saws don't have the center drill bit to keep the hole stable, so drilling through a piece of acrylic or something and then taping it to the tank works well.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for staying away from "reef ready" and drilling yourself. Those megaflow type things take up way too much space.

Another tip, along with the water, that I would give is to make a template of some kind. Those hole saws don't have the center drill bit to keep the hole stable, so drilling through a piece of acrylic or something and then taping it to the tank works well.
+1 on the template. I recently bought two 1200gph Modular Marine overflows for my 75-gallon and 90-gallon tanks. This was my first time drilling glass, but all 4 holes went very well. The overflows came with a template that I consider indispensable for glass drilling. The glass hole cutter was held neatly in place in the template during the entire drilling process which made it much simpler.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if each internal overflow only has 2 holes, 1 drain, 1 return, I couldn’t do a bean animal, right?
that is correct, need 3 holes for bean animal. Re. ur tank size question, since u r upgrading and experienced reefer I'd recommend going w 210. IMO u'd probably regret not going bigger like myself when I went from 65 cube to 93 cube... oh how quickly I wished I'd gone bigger. ;Facepalm

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering glass cages. If I brought that size tank into the house, I’d be thrown out of the house lol

well they do make any size you want. might be able to get in a few extta gallon by the other half..lol

but come on 210 vs 300 not much difference in size really just tell her that is a 210...LOL

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is correct, need 3 holes for bean animal. Re. ur tank size question, since u r upgrading and experienced reefer I'd recommend going w 210. IMO u'd probably regret not going bigger like myself when I went from 65 cube to 93 cube... oh how quickly I wished I'd gone bigger. ;Facepalm
Thanks, yeah I decided 210 is the way to go

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if each internal overflow only has 2 holes, 1 drain, 1 return, I couldn’t do a bean animal, right?
Correct. But you an do a Herbie, with 1 siphon and 1 trickle/emergency, if you run your return over the back.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I’ve always cut an identical size hole in plywood as a template when I’m drilling tile, otherwise it’s impossible and it helps hold water

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back