Reef Review: Tunze Care Magnet

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the plastic out of curiosity and a little fear that the metal blade would dig into the curved glass but it seems fine.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my tunze. They should of included more than one blade and replacement pads for the outside. But I still love it no more scratching the glass or sponge cleaning for I.

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved this review over here from RE.

Since reviewing this product I still use it and am very happy with it. The only con would be that the felt protecting pads eventually start to slide the direction you use the cleaner the most.

I had that problem with mine. I have to reglue them since it's becoming a problem. Not a big deal tho but my only issue is the pads leave grease all over my glass. I've washed them several times but it just won't go away. Regardless the tunze is still hands down the best scraper on the market.

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this magnet and i highly recommend using it.
It does the great job.
There are 2 issues that i have
1) i dont get the blade where i live
2) there were 2 blades that came with the magnet and both rusted in saltwater after claiming it SS.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze long, and it's the only one that doES a good job on my bowfront

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine yesterday. First impressions:

Nice design and works well. I do not like how loosely attached the blades are to the magnetic base. I don't plan to keep this in my tank when it isn't in use and they fall off easily. I've found that you need to be careful with this on rimless tanks. The blade can pop over the top of the tank and makes a pretty good splash. I'm happy to have it though :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine yesterday. First impressions:

Nice design and works well. I do not like how loosely attached the blades are to the magnetic base. I don't plan to keep this in my tank when it isn't in use and they fall off easily. I've found that you need to be careful with this on rimless tanks. The blade can pop over the top of the tank and makes a pretty good splash. I'm happy to have it though :)

Same here, found it flimsy. This is the one Tunze product I have used that didn't impress me. I had to go over most areas of my glass several times to get it clean. Probably works great if you use it every few days but if you are like me and do it maybe every 3 or 4 weeks then I find it useless. Same with the flipper. Just couldn't get the algae off my glass. Interestingly I tried a stronger magnet with the flipper and it worked a lot better. I ended up getting a mag-float scrapper and it blows the tunze and flipper away on heavy buildup. One pass over an area usually gets it clean.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it cleans fairly well. I have to go back and forth a couple of times, but it gets the stuff off with the plastic blade that I used to need a razor blade for. I haven't tried the metal blade.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the metal blade as well but I'm guessing it's better to use the plastic one on acrylic tanks :)

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not! That would be awesome but it's got a nice grip via the magnets so it doesn't happen much.

Does the Tunze work for everyday cleaning of film on the glass? I have a new tank and although there is no hard algae just yet, I have constant film that builds up. Not sure if the Tunze works for that or if I should get a flipper.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Tunze work for everyday cleaning of film on the glass? I have a new tank and although there is no hard algae just yet, I have constant film that builds up. Not sure if the Tunze works for that or if I should get a flipper.

Tunze works great for cleaning your glass at anytime and takes off the film buildup

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES I use it just about every day and it's the easiest glass cleaning tool I have used. Seriously get it! LOL!

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES I use it just about every day and it's the easiest glass cleaning tool I have used. Seriously get it! LOL!

I'm just so accustomed to using the scrubbing pad on magnets, yet this doesn't have one. You don't get any leftover residue that you might've missed with the tunze? How about scratches if you go sideways by mistake?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one is better than the scrubbing ones and a lot harder to scratch the glass! It's real hard to get sand stuck in it like you can a scrubbing magnet.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is better than the scrubbing ones and a lot harder to scratch the glass! It's real hard to get sand stuck in it like you can a scrubbing magnet.

If you don't get sand stuck in it, can you scratch the glass if you go sideways at all? I have the starphire glass 5/8 inch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back