Reef Roids Direct feeding Zoas

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
I direct feed my zoas reef roids, it was my
First time feeding corals via pipete. I used what the instructions said and mixed with tank water. They closed for about an hour, after they re opened they were way more colorful. I even noticed a few babies showing colors I did not notice before. I was skeptical, now I’m sold. 10/10 Reef Roids! The zoas pooped and my fish ate it lol was very interesting

Reefing_addiction

Corals over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
What the other guy said

reef roids maybe once a week

my zoas catch food from feeding the fish.
I dose phyto
I dose iodide

and randomly put a very small amount of reef roids less than the directions tell me to like a quarter of it.

Dragonsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
If you dosed per instructions i would cut back to 1/4 dose until you know how your phosphates will fluctuate. The full recommended dose is pretty strong imo.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t even dose solid foods I will target my mushrooms.... for my zoas I found it was just a waste target feeding just dirtied up my tank... I dose amino acids, sometimes I’ll do iodine, koral color (trying it out), and I dose all for reef as my supplement... my nutrients are
Phos: .2-.3
Nitrate: 15-20
Calcium and mag at whatever tropic Marin pro mixes at
alk: 8-8.3

BRS
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
I started dosing iodine a few weeks ago also. I also dose phyto. I will definitely be keeping an eye on my phosphates and nitrates thanks for the advice!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I spot feed all of my zoa's,its a pain and takes for forever but to me its less wasted food other than broadcast feeding the whole tank.

Since I only have 1 hermit and an urchin,the zoa's actually have time to digest the food without being bothered.

For me it just makes more sense because all I have is Zoa's and Acan's.

Hooz

View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting. I broadcast Reef Chili 3x a week and my stuff all does really well. I'll have to try target feeding and see what happens.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
like the others said above, based on your tank size you should start with small feedings and monitor nutrients.

If after a couple weeks your system can handle the nutrients and you have good export methods, you can increase feeding.

Its always such a good sight to see corals feed, the reactions are worth it.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 4g cube,and feed SeaChem Fuel a day before my water change and a small scoop of BRS freeze dried rotifers and copepods and feed every frag and depending on how much is left I will dump the rest in the tank.

I have no algae,nor phosphates or nitrates lol Idk how I have managed it. Maybe my biodiversity is just that robust with all the pods,and small amounts of stuff I have added to my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 146 32.5%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 131 29.2%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 3.8%
LA