• Reef Roids

• Coral Frenzy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frank Scalfano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I would comment on the Coral Frenzy pellet food I bought a while back. I fed some to my anemone and a Duncanops polyp, and both acted depressed for about a week. I have not fed any of the pellets since, and both seem happy with just the regular CF powder. The Duncanops is clearly growing.

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoas and lps and alternate between reef roids and benepets coral food. I also feed the fish mysis and brine shrimp so there is a good mix they are getting.

Frank Scalfano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed mysis, but the fish eat most of that. They all seem fat and happy. I figure with the algae and live pods they get plenty of nutrition.

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually we developed our 0.5mm and 1.0mm reef pellets for exactly these types of coral. As Lenny mentioned, the powder version of our food would be too small. It will produce a feeding response but the corals that you are talking about would not get the nutrition that they need.
since they got 20% off i was thinking to buy Reef Roids, first order I placed 3 days ago i bought a Coral Frenzy 180oz and Reef Roids 120oz then i saw this post, it takes a lot to have Coral Frenzy, so i decided to buy Coral Frenzy 180oz.

I DON'T KNOW some say don't feed anything it will grow

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
note that reef roids will increase your phosphates and you will have to check your params weekly

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against feeding. Feeding is a complex subject and is very species specific, what one coral likes another hates. See these research papers for more info:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually we developed our 0.5mm and 1.0mm reef pellets for exactly these types of coral. As Lenny mentioned, the powder version of our food would be too small. It will produce a feeding response but the corals that you are talking about would not get the nutrition that they need.
This is exactly what I am looking for. I typically spray all my corals with reefroids using a long baster. Thinking that wasn't enough tonight I thawed out a frozen cube of mysis shrimp. Using forceps I was able to get several corals to take it.

Needless to say I need an easier way to feed these guys. What do people usually use to feed your pellets? I was thinking about trying some long tweezers or a pipette next time.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been using reef roids for a year,bought a can of coral frenzy and I'll never go back to reef roids. You can tell a difference immediately upon broadcast feeding it. I have alot of high dollar lps and sps that love it as well as mushrooms n zoas. They all have a blatant feeding response and coral frenzy doesn't bump up my nitrates like reef roids does. In my tank the comparison is night n day

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I am looking for. I typically spray all my corals with reefroids using a long baster. Thinking that wasn't enough tonight I thawed out a frozen cube of mysis shrimp. Using forceps I was able to get several corals to take it.

Needless to say I need an easier way to feed these guys. What do people usually use to feed your pellets? I was thinking about trying some long tweezers or a pipette next time.
I use fauna marin pellets with a diy pipette. Works beautifully

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fauna marin pellets with a diy pipette. Works beautifully
I was thinking maybe trying a long piece of hard airline, drop a pellet in the top, then stick a syringe in to push the pellet down by pushing water into the tube.

What did you diy with your pipette? The problem i see is that the food will get sucked into the bulb part.

I can't believe no one makes something to do this.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys act like you have to join a team. On top of reef roids which I use already and does fantastic for me I've ordered coral frenzy, reef chili and ME coral food. I've done this for two reasons: I want powdered foods that also have particle sizes big enough for small clown/damselfish as well as small particle sizes for corals which reef roids doesn't do. I'm tired of messing with frozen. Secondly I can't take any of y'all's word for what might be best for me. I chose based on ingredients, particle size and the ones in most curious about.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe trying a long piece of hard airline, drop a pellet in the top, then stick a syringe in to push the pellet down by pushing water into the tube.

What did you diy with your pipette? The problem i see is that the food will get sucked into the bulb part.

Yea that'll work. Exept u dont need anything to push the pellets down they sink by themselves. I found a super long clear hard plastic it's like a play straw found at Walmart.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO neither. Reef Roids and Coral Frenzy are more suited for SPS and filter feeding inverts because it's such small particles. Chopped up mysis and/or brine shrimp will work much better for what you listed. You could even feed them small pellets.
In my case I broadcast feed my tank, so my LPS and zoas catch some of that food and I don't bother target feeding them. Just another option to consider.

Baby brine is an even better choice than reef roids for all coral

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back