Reef Roids with a splash of......

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious to know what some of you mix with your Reef Roids? I don't know why I like to mix something with it but I do and some seem to work better than others. I found out mixing with polylab Polyp booster is taboo but it had a great consistency to feed. I've mixed with live foods from Reef Nutrition, Reef Fuel, Live Algae feeds, all seem to make the corals happy but I still can't get the consistency I liked when mixing with polyp booster. Please share your experiences and mixes with RR :)

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my Reef roids really thick! I add 2 cubes of frozen rotifers and sometimes I also add crushed up LPS pellets. I use a syringe so sometimes the crushed pellets clog it so I don’t do it often.

Just curious. Why is mixing with polyp booster taboo?

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious. Why is mixing with polyp booster taboo?

I visited their booth at RAP in Orlando and had some nice conversations with the guys from the factory. They suggested mixing with water, "other liquid food diets available" and broadcast feeding. He began to explain why the booster's bad and at that time I wished I had taken one less puff before the show. I got the gist and he made it clear, broadcast the polyp booster suggested amounts wait a few seconds, shut off flow, wait another 60 seconds, then feed desired ways.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited their booth at RAP in Orlando and had some nice conversations with the guys from the factory. They suggested mixing with water, "other liquid food diets available" and broadcast feeding. He began to explain why the booster's bad and at that time I wished I had taken one less puff before the show. I got the gist and he made it clear, broadcast the polyp booster suggested amounts wait a few seconds, shut off flow, wait another 60 seconds, then feed desired ways.
Haha been in that same situation before with coral fish 12g lol. Maybe it is an amino or something that triggers the feeding response but isn’t good for the digestion or beneficial for nutrition.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix with phytofeast, about half and half. of course I only use 1/4 teaspoon of Roids as its a 20 gallon. Corals LOVE it. Sometimes I'll mix in frozen mysis too. Everybody grows like crazy.

I feel like gays a lot of Reef roids for that size of tank, especially since it’s so concentrated. Algae never an issue?

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like gays a lot of Reef roids for that size of tank, especially since it’s so concentrated. Algae never an issue?

Its the reccomended amount. Never an algae issue, tank clean as a whistle. Corals grow like weeds. Helps that I have a good fuge. Tank is 6 months old. I did go through my uglies stage about a month in, but after that went away nothing since.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mix with phytofeast, about half and half. of course I only use 1/4 teaspoon of Roids as its a 20 gallon. Corals LOVE it. Sometimes I'll mix in frozen mysis too. Everybody grows like crazy.
I tried that just the other day and that's when I started wondering if it was okay? You mix 50/50 TW and Phyto? Usually I add the Phytofeast to the sump and wondered if this stuff was too concentrated for direct feeding mixed with roids?

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that just the other day and that's when I started wondering if it was okay? You mix 50/50 TW and Phyto? Usually I add the Phytofeast to the sump and wondered if this stuff was too concentrated for direct feeding mixed with roids?

Never been a problem for me. I started when a friend told me she used that, she's used it the whole time her reefs been setup, over a year now. I started using it and got a way better feeding response then plain Roids.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broadcast a 1/4 teaspoon of Reef Roids in some tank water. I was getting 3-7 polyps a month from my zoanthids. Rastas went from 4 to 120+ in a year. Radioactive dragon eyes went from 7 to 150+.

received_10214899372669917.jpeg

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the reccomended amount. Never an algae issue, tank clean as a whistle. Corals grow like weeds. Helps that I have a good fuge. Tank is 6 months old. I did go through my uglies stage about a month in, but after that went away nothing since.

How often?

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week I mix 6 large scoops of Reef Roids and Selcon, then add an equal amount of Rods food and feed about half to my Nem, the rest I broadcast feed to the tank, the fish love it, the shrimp love it, and the coral get in on it too.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my reef roids thick, with phyto and zeovit coral vitalizer. Made the mistake one night of leaving it on a couple frags for about 2 hours with the flow off. Woke up next morning and they were showing patches of complete skeleton with no flesh

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once a week I mix 6 large scoops of Reef Roids and Selcon, then add an equal amount of Rods food and feed about half to my Nem, the rest I broadcast feed to the tank, the fish love it, the shrimp love it, and the coral get in on it too.
Never tried Selcon but I’m going to order some for sure, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back