Reef rush from “Work from Home”/Hybrid work model

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh you’re not the only one to notice this… @zoa what and i were just discussing this earlier today. I’ve been a member for a while but I actually feel like I have something to contribute to the community now so I’ve been a lot more active in the past 6 months. Also I have a good amount of downtime at my new job.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, work from home. It was something I'd always wanted to do but couldn't figure out how to have the time to really go all in. Work from home made it possible, and once we do finally go back to the office we'll be able to do a hybrid work model, so I will no longer be in an office 5 days a week anymore.

I feel like working form home has in some ways made things more difficult b/c it's tough to separate work from home -- literally -- but at the same time it's given me the ability to get stuff done in the mornings and evenings when I'd normally be commuting, and at lunch time when I take my break.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'covid' thing is also what I noticed. I already had a tank running pre 'vid, but watching it constantly since being stuck at home (outside of going to work) caused a upgrade for me.

I have noticed a explosion of folks buying these 'all in one tanks' meaning all components included at a stupid premium and end up have all kinds of issues. Or the sheer number of 'setups' for sale since they suddenly don't have the time and attempting to recoup all their cost.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a member for a bit. I didn’t use as much as I do now. I was more of a lurker. Not a expert by any means but I have learned a lot from R2R and from my own personal experiences with my now tanks. I try to answer the questions new members ask that have been answered many times by members who have been on the site longer than me. They’ve already put time into these easy questions and have moved on to more technical issues. Takes the burden off them to have to repeat themselves. I’ve always been able to work at home so this hasn’t changed much for me. I have noticed a lot of new members over the last year so I know there has been a huge increase in the Reefing hobby.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....so I know there has been a huge increase in the Reefing hobby.
This. I go to my LFS (a rather large one in my area) and the questions I hear now between customers and staff is insane. The tang police would work OT, the sheer number of fish deaths with customers wanting their cash back is crazy and folks expecting full price on trying to trade/sell used equipment...

I'm happy for the business the stores see, but it's a trip how unprepared the typical noob reefer is and how predatory the LFS can be.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'covid' thing is also what I noticed. I already had a tank running pre 'vid, but watching it constantly since being stuck at home (outside of going to work) caused a upgrade for me.

I have noticed a explosion of folks buying these 'all in one tanks' meaning all components included at a stupid premium and end up have all kinds of issues. Or the sheer number of 'setups' for sale since they suddenly don't have the time and attempting to recoup all their cost.
I bought a Max Nano AIO and it’s been really successful — helped me to get started, have a tank that actually fits in my small space, and ultimately see success. I’m currently in the process of making some automation upgrades to help me manage when I’m away from home or back in the office, and planning for when I will upgrade my tank b/c I love the hobby and plan to stay in it. An AIO tank is a great entry point for a lot of ppl.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to set up a reef tank for a while. Had freshwater tanks growing up and a pond in the backyard, but was never allowed to have a salt tank, so it was my adult dream for a while. I had set up some freshwater tanks for a few years to get my feet wet. Covid was just a coincidence, I would have started my tank regardless as I was tanking down one my freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe work from home has contributed to this.

I have been on r2r for almost 4 years now, but reefing for 40 or so. Work from home just meant about 1000 more gallons for me lol.
I am sure your tank and tank inhabitants love the extra TLC

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahhh you’re not the only one to notice this… @zoa what and i were just discussing this earlier today. I’ve been a member for a while but I actually feel like I have something to contribute to the community now so I’ve been a lot more active in the past 6 months. Also I have a good amount of downtime at my new job.
No wonder you are in 7500 club and only been here for 3 hrs. Haha

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder you are in 7500 club and only been here for 3 hrs. Haha
Those were definitely not meaningful posts
Driving The Simpsons GIF

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, work from home. It was something I'd always wanted to do but couldn't figure out how to have the time to really go all in. Work from home made it possible, and once we do finally go back to the office we'll be able to do a hybrid work model, so I will no longer be in an office 5 days a week anymore.

I feel like working form home has in some ways made things more difficult b/c it's tough to separate work from home -- literally -- but at the same time it's given me the ability to get stuff done in the mornings and evenings when I'd normally be commuting, and at lunch time when I take my break.
True dat. Watch out for constantly getting your hands wet.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This. I go to my LFS (a rather large one in my area) and the questions I hear now between customers and staff is insane. The tang police would work OT, the sheer number of fish deaths with customers wanting their cash back is crazy and folks expecting full price on trying to trade/sell used equipment...

I'm happy for the business the stores see, but it's a trip how unprepared the typical noob reefer is and how predatory the LFS can be.
200 hundred percent with you. I struggle sometime trying to help a fellow reefer. It’s like let’s start from the beginning. Tank and reef are better addiction than a lot of other things and bing watching Netflix. I think Reef rush single handledly brought Netflix subscriber count down and tanked their stock. Oh well, that’s a different topic and I am digressing. :)

sam

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was back in the spring but this bubbly person walked in to one of my LFS and started asking what tank size he had. After looking at a couple of options they asked “Do you have any seahorses? “ He said not at the moment and explained the specific tank requirements to house and care for seahorses. They responded “well that’s going to ruin my day …I got up and got inspired to get some seahorses. I’ll take that Nemo fish and that 20G cube”….
He looked at the customer blankly and asked do you have a tank already setup? Of course the response was “no”….Then he explained to them the cycling process….A complete look of shock and disbelief came across the customers eyes that they couldn’t buy a 20 gallon and throw Nemo in it. They walked out without buying anything….

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been wanting to set up a reef tank for a while. Had freshwater tanks growing up and a pond in the backyard, but was never allowed to have a salt tank, so it was my adult dream for a while. I had set up some freshwater tanks for a few years to get my feet wet. Covid was just a coincidence, I would have started my tank regardless as I was tanking down one my freshwater tanks.
Even then I am sure the extra time would have accelerated and allowed you the right amount of time to get it done right…

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Max Nano AIO and it’s been really successful — helped me to get started, have a tank that actually fits in my small space, and ultimately see success. I’m currently in the process of making some automation upgrades to help me manage when I’m away from home or back in the office, and planning for when I will upgrade my tank b/c I love the hobby and plan to stay in it. An AIO tank is a great entry point for a lot of ppl.
I'm not dissing the AIO tanks, I came back to this hobby with one almost 5 years ago. I'm more against the larger Waterbox and Red Sea tanks that are supposed to be plug and play. In the end, most times they aren't and the poor customer realizes they are over their head, out of thousands of dollars and the poor tank is practically stuffed with dead coral and dying fish.

Edit: The AIO days was simpler! Photo is back when I started on this iteration in 2017, still have the tomato and two of the chromis. The 'Mater went female & the chromis paired up and killed the third one.
IMG_20170323_121557.jpg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back