Reef Safe Magnets

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few projects I’d like to make for my tank and I need magnets that are safe to use in the tank. I was looking at some cheap epoxy coated ones on Amazon and I was wondering if anyone has used them before. I have also looked at some epoxy coated ones from K&J magnetics, which aren’t too much more expensive.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few projects I’d like to make for my tank and I need magnets that are safe to use in the tank. I was looking at some cheap epoxy coated ones on Amazon and I was wondering if anyone has used them before. I have also looked at some epoxy coated ones from K&J magnetics, which aren’t too much more expensive.

this is a review from the magnets posted above from amazon
1690993032397.png

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a review from the magnets posted above from amazon
1690993032397.png
I glanced at the reviews but didn’t notice this one. It makes me wonder if it just depends upon how well each individual magnet was coated, and would the ones from K&J be any different.
Maybe I will buy them and throw them in a cup of saltwater and wait a while to see if they rust.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use those, they will rust. Plastic coated from K&J is the only ones that will hold out. I use the amazon ones on the dry side, but I wont put any of those epoxy coated ones in a tank. They arent sealed that will.
So I found epoxy ones on K&J also. Would those be safe to use or do I need to get plastic coated ones?

masterofstuff124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another recommendation for both sizes of k+j plastic coated(skip the painted enameled ones they suck) they last forever and are crazy strong. They arent cheap but they are worth it. ive got my mom mounting her quilts with them now also. LOL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back