Reef Safe Sponge?

enlighten

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2023
Messages
587
Reaction score
362
Location
Clovis
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a sponge that is reef safe? Meaning not competing with coral or becoming a nuisance for equipment and maintainence?

Something that doesnt encrust and could either be used as a nice display piece or potentially in the sump with some live rock and miracle mud?

Am I thinking too hard on it? Is DOC controllable with equipment only?

Should I listen to Jake and avoid them at all costs? Or side with Salem and attempt to find a beneficial sponge to become a sink for my DOC?

Not sure, if there is Indo specific varieties on the market, but hoping to get some input before I scrap my refugium for a spongium.

TIA!
 
“
Is there a sponge that is reef safe? Meaning not competing with coral or becoming a nuisance for equipment and maintainence?

Something that doesnt encrust and could either be used as a nice display piece or potentially in the sump with some live rock and miracle mud?

Am I thinking too hard on it? Is DOC controllable with equipment only?

Should I listen to Jake and avoid them at all costs? Or side with Salem and attempt to find a beneficial sponge to become a sink for my DOC?

Not sure, if there is Indo specific varieties on the market, but hoping to get some input before I scrap my refugium for a spongium.

I get my ornamental sponges from Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico

https://www.live-plants.com/spongesampler.htm
With respect to DOC, cryptic sponges utilize both POC (particulate organic carbon) and DOC (dissolved organic carbon). Turn out the lights in your refugium and add some diver collected live rock.

Cryptic sponges are not a sink for DOC. Cryptic sponges assimilate DOC & POC and then slough off carbon rich detritus to feed the microbial loop.
 
Rusalty also sells sponge. Bought several and was vey happy with what they shipped
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new