Reef Safe With Caution animals in Reef Tanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow reefers! I just wanted to make a thread about keeping Reef Safe With Caution (RSWC) fish in full blown reef settings.
Now, this is a thing I rarely see spoken about because we all think sticking to reef safe fish will be the easiest and safest thing. I also used to think this until I finally risked RSWC fish in my previous reef tank. Now, I am someone who can be cautious with fish but also takes huge risks with them at the same time. I’m aware many of the ways I reef in this hobby can be controversial. I also know that many of my fish in my size tank is controversial. So before I actually get into this please know, this may not work or even be the way for you however this is for those who want to do a reef tank with several reef safe with caution fish/inverts and are interested in how I have been successful for several years.

So, I guess we first need to know, what is seen as Reef Safe With Caution? Well, here’s what I seem to find people believing the most. It’s a fish that may be a risk to most of the animals in a reef. Now, I think that is a rather blunt statement. Here’s what I personally think RSWC means.
A fish or invertebrate that may pose a risk to certain coral and/or invertebrates, most of the time these are likely to be sessile inverts (Such as Sponges) but other times can be any invert (Such as Stenopus shrimp).

So, now we’ve gone over what I believe RSWC means, let’s go over what fish I have in my own reef and the basics of my reef (Dimensions, Age, Fish and Inverts).
So, for those who don’t know, I have 2 tanks and my main display is in my living room. This is the tank that has my Reef Safe With Caution fish in. My reef is a 3 year old 4’x2’x18” reef, I will often round it up to 2’ just to make it into feet without an awkward decimal on the end. Now, this reef has 7 Reef Safe With Caution fish in and in total it has 12 fish. Enjoy the FTS.
5FAD2BBC-5130-4D83-A5AB-BC2CFB7AD3D2.jpeg

So what are the 12 fish I own?
Amphiprion occelaris x A. percula (Black Photon Clownfish)
Chelmon rostratum (Copperband Butterfly)*
Siganus magnificus (Magnificent Foxface)*
Ctenochaetus binotatus (TwinSpot Bristletooth Tang)*
Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
Pygoplites diacanthus (Regal Angel)*
Escenius lineatus (Linear Blenny)*
Halichoeres iridis (Radiant Wrasse)*
Halichoeres chloropterus (Jade Wrasse)*
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Sapphire Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse)

So, we’ve gone through the fish list. Now, my inverts are relatively simple so here you go.
Percnon gibbesi (Sally Light Foot Crab)*
Lysmata amboinensis (Skunk Cleaner Shrimp)
Stenopus scuttelatus (Golden Dwarf Boxer Shrimp)
Alpheus bellulus (Tiger Pistol Shrimp)
2x Lytechinus variegates (Pincushion Urchins)

Finally we’re done with the lists. In some of them you may see a * after their names. These are the ones we’re talking about, the RSWC animals and how I get around them. The other thing is how many of these aside from the Crab and Angel, all of those are 2-3 years old at this point so I have had a lot of ‘experimenting’ occur (and am currently doing it).

So, how can you have your own successful RSWC reef tank?

I guess if you’re looking at this and wanting to have a reef like mine the first thing we need to figure out is how is your fish/invert in this title? Is the fish you like known to eat corals such as a Copperband Butterfly or is it more of a risk towards Invertebrates like a Radiant Wrasse is. There is a third reason you may have something labelled as RSWC but we’ll get to that later.

So, I assume you’ve now figured out whether your fish is likely to eat coral or if it’s likely to eat Inverts. We’ll start with how to get around a coral muncher and then later go into how to get around an Invert eater (if you’re more interested in this side then skip the next paragraph).

So, you’ve found yourself liking and wanting a fish that is known for eating corals. Well, the easiest way to avoid this is what everyone would say;
FOWLR tanks. Yes these can look nice but other times you may think of it as an eyesore and want to add coral?
I would personally start with cheaper things. Avoiding Zoanthids and Palythoa is a good start as these are often on the menu for many angels, butterflies and other RSWC fish. I know the zoanthids I add often vanish without a trace, slowly going from 5-6 polyps and every day going down a polyp until just the frag plug remains. I would also avoid Fleshy LPS such as Scoly’s and Trachy’s as these are also often on the menu. So, what coral do I recommend starting with? Mushrooms! Yes they can be an eyesore but if you get the right one, a rock or two is stunning. My main focal rock I get questioned about the most is actually a rock of bubbled up Ricordea yuma. If you’re not into mushroom corals then the next coral I would try to find are Duncan’s. I absolutely love mine and very few fish prey on them. But, what if you want more Softies? Well, Leathers are more often than not avoided by RSWC fish, and this is due to their taste. I guess you may not all like the shedding though as it can upset other corals. So, Euphyllia and Fymbriaphyllia species are often ignored, this is from my experience due to being able to sting. Now, you may be more experienced and not like many LPS or Softies which is totally fine! Here’s what I recommend to you; SPS. Specifically I would start out by trying cheaper Acros, I have a colony of Acropora tortuosa in my tank (seen in the FTS on the back wall). I also recommend trying some Stylophora and Montipora (My second tank is actually a grow out for many of the corals I will try in my 4’ tank). Here’s just a few photos of coral types I have mentioned :)
57A07E4F-078D-4525-A4BF-5E31FA7E8987.jpeg
6F3B1CA9-DD07-4A6A-8FD0-12B1012B3539.jpeg

4B4EF8A1-C2B2-47E8-8CF4-7D3BA37E46B7.jpeg
5AEDD345-7E1F-4F14-9EE0-A155109CB8D1.jpeg

Now, you’ve found a fish that may eat inverts but you still want it, what do you do? Just like I said above, a FOWLR is what many recommend but you probably haven’t come here just for that answer so here’s what I do. First, I make sure the invert I want has a way to protect itself, whether that’s using an anemone, has a large role for other fish or if it has claws. If the invert ticks off those boxes, I then check its max size and make sure it cannot fit into the fish’s mouth. If it ticks off all of these boxes, I will then pull the trigger and try it. Often times it works, the other way you can do it is through adding the invert first so it’s established before the fish goes into the tank. I have done both before and after and it worked. But, what if the invert doesn’t tick off those boxes? In this case, I would get the invert in first. If the invert can hide in an anemone such as Anemone Shrimp can, I recommend getting a pairing anemone to give them protection. So, now we’ve gone through the check boxes what do I recommend for inverts? First off, every tank needs a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, they’re a marine staple! These guys have a role that often causes the fish to ignore them, they also get to a large max size (mine is Atleast 3.5 inches) and can’t fit into many mouths of fish we keep in the hobby. Another I recommend is a Stenopus species, these are relatively small shrimp however their claws are something most fish won’t mess with. My Golden Dwarf Boxer Shrimp went in after my Halichoeres established however he was left alone due to his claws and he could threaten them away. Other ones I would try and grab include Alpheus shrimp and a pairing goby. The Goby will offer the shrimp protection whilst the shrimp creates the burrow. Now, a non-shrimp invert I would go for is a Sally Lightfoot Crabs. These guys can be risky in their own way however if you don’t have incredibly small fish then you should be alright. Here’s a few photos of inverts I recommended looking into :)
DD0083C6-B6E1-42EA-AD14-0871C3161E6A.jpeg
A1F837E9-3127-4E90-BB05-49AAFDE4EE37.jpeg

28D8DC51-ABB5-4A60-AC34-C9B2833D3A51.jpeg

So, I assume if you haven’t figured out what type of ‘RSWC’ your fish is, it may be because I haven’t said it yet. Yes there is a third ‘type’ and that is because it eats smaller fish. Now, the only way to really avoid this is through avoiding small fish. When I say small I’m talking about fish that are 3” or less. This is excluding tall fish and aimed towards the thinner fish. The fish that are often predated on are the small Gobies and Blennies. Often, small elongated fish are predated on more than small but tall fish. Fish to avoid are most gobies outside of Cryptocentrus and most of the small blennies and larger blennies in Salarias or Escenius are more likely to be safe. There is still a risk with those however it isn’t as high. The other way you can avoid risking your current livestock is planning for tall bodied fish such as Butterflies or Clowns. Most of the Wrasses will also work however some genera can still be at risk. The best way I can say that will work is getting the fish you like small (juvenile) and letting it grow out with its tankmates. Just remember that instincts can still kick in though.

Well, that concludes this! I hope you enjoyed reading about how to keep RSWC fish in a reef tank and you now know that just because a fish is RSWC it doesn’t mean you can’t have it in a reef, you can always work around it!
That’s all from me :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I'm considering some fish like those you mentioned and it's very useful to know what corals they're likely to eat and not. However I do still find the Reef Safe label to be a very unreliable umbrella that I think should be split into coral and invert safeness (I think the aggression category covers fish).Here's my main gripes with the categories:
  1. Fish that damage corals inadvertently like gobies of the Valenciennea genus and engineer gobies are considered reef safe. Both of which will often bury corals or just spit sand on them.
  2. The main diet most of us feed are inverts like in the form of brine and mysis shrimp. Almost all the fish we keep will happily dine on shrimp so long as they can eat them. So when we consider reef safe-ness and will they eat inverts it's almost more about mouth size and what inverts may be eaten so far as I can tell. Also if a fish decimates a pod population is it not doing more damage to our reef then a fish that eats a cleaner shrimp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you really went all out! Amazing work Aaron! I think more people should keep RSWCF. Plus stores should mention how exactly it is a RSWCF. Do they eat Blastos and Euphyllia and leave everything else alone? Do they massacre inverts but don’t care about the coral? Do they eat all sorts of fleshy coral but leave stony alone? Are they fine with all coral but eat small fish? Things like that.

Upvote 0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little something I wanted to put out there:

Example1: IMO, if I want to get a fish, say a Harlequin Tusk, they will be listed as RSWC, but the only thing that gives them that name is their taste for inverts specifically shrimp. Now honestly I could care less about losing a shrimp if I keep that fish, so really, in my tank or another person’s tank with the same though as me, the Harlequin Tusk is: Reef Safe.

Example 2: If I want to get a Sally Lightfoot Crab, purchase it, and it ends up destroying an octospawn or a Torch, but ends up hosting a frogspawn and doesn’t bother any other coral, well how RS is this crab to you?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little something I wanted to put out there:

Example1: IMO, if I want to get a fish, say a Harlequin Tusk, they will be listed as RSWC, but the only thing that gives them that name is their taste for inverts specifically shrimp. Now honestly I could care less about losing a shrimp if I keep that fish, so really, in my tank or another person’s tank with the same though as me, the Harlequin Tusk is: Reef Safe.

Example 2: If I want to get a Sally Lightfoot Crab, purchase it, and it ends up destroying an octospawn or a Torch, but ends up hosting a frogspawn and doesn’t bother any other coral, well how RS is this crab to you?
Totally agree with you! If you’re willing to ‘experiment’ then is it really RSWC?
I mean as I said, I have 7 fish that are seen as RSWC yet in my tank they’re all Reef Safe because of the precautions I take.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give this a bump with some more animals that can be food to these guys as ive seen more interest in ‘Reef Safe’ fish recently :)
84F1B0AC-1256-4B70-863E-BEA75B598733.jpeg

3693F568-EECA-465B-8717-E9C92E659E82.jpeg

Upvote 0

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem that what you are saying is that a reefer looking to keep these RSWC fish or inverts must first understand what makes up the caution part. From there they can plan appropriate stocking lists to create an environment that take into consideration the natural behaviors (and feeding habits) of these RDWC so that all tank inhabitants can thrive. I agree fully with this.

Like anything this is the give and take of responsible reef keeping. You make choices based on your priority and then build the environment around that priority. Similar to how choosing light and flow intensity beneficial for some corals will limit what other corals will thrive in the same environment. It takes a commitment by the reefer to do the research, ask questions and to be willing to make the sacrifices for their chosen animals to thrive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem that what you are saying is that a reefer looking to keep these RSWC fish or inverts must first understand what makes up the caution part. From there they can plan appropriate stocking lists to create an environment that take into consideration the natural behaviors (and feeding habits) of these RDWC so that all tank inhabitants can thrive. I agree fully with this.

Like anything this is the give and take of responsible reef keeping. You make choices based on your priority and then build the environment around that priority. Similar to how choosing light and flow intensity beneficial for some corals will limit what other corals will thrive in the same environment. It takes a commitment by the reefer to do the research, ask questions and to be willing to make the sacrifices for their chosen animals to thrive.
Definitely!
Doing this does have a few ‘steps’ before taking the plunge however if the reefer does them correctly and decides this is what they want to do it should work just fine :)

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if fish won't deliberately eat the coral, some can get large enough or exhibit behavior to damage coral physically. Naturally we'd just glue frags down and secure rock, but fish stores probably assume newbies would make the mistake not to and say 'well we warned ya' incase of complaints. Fish that stir up sand mounds/spike parameters making reef keeping harder likely fall in that category.

Also claiming something is or isn't reef safe confidentially isn't always accurate either and can lead to a noob trap in some cases. I know most if not all suppliers will claim mantis shrimp aren't reef safe but they do not eat coral and anything glued down won't be used for a door. Those same suppliers say pistol shrimp are harmless but then in a 6 foot wide tank one night it randomly decides to travel from one end to the other, start a new home and damage your plate coral. I may be projecting a little on that one.

Its really as you said, understanding what the fish does, and considering how it may interact with coral/other fish. Take risk into account and whether the worse case scenario you're ok with. I wouldn't risk putting wrasses that might but fine because then getting it out would be an absolute pain, but to someone else having the wrasse and various others might be more worth it to try.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow reefers! I just wanted to make a thread about keeping Reef Safe With Caution (RSWC) fish in full blown reef settings.
Now, this is a thing I rarely see spoken about because we all think sticking to reef safe fish will be the easiest and safest thing. I also used to think this until I finally risked RSWC fish in my previous reef tank. Now, I am someone who can be cautious with fish but also takes huge risks with them at the same time. I’m aware many of the ways I reef in this hobby can be controversial. I also know that many of my fish in my size tank is controversial. So before I actually get into this please know, this may not work or even be the way for you however this is for those who want to do a reef tank with several reef safe with caution fish/inverts and are interested in how I have been successful for several years.

So, I guess we first need to know, what is seen as Reef Safe With Caution? Well, here’s what I seem to find people believing the most. It’s a fish that may be a risk to most of the animals in a reef. Now, I think that is a rather blunt statement. Here’s what I personally think RSWC means.
A fish or invertebrate that may pose a risk to certain coral and/or invertebrates, most of the time these are likely to be sessile inverts (Such as Sponges) but other times can be any invert (Such as Stenopus shrimp).

So, now we’ve gone over what I believe RSWC means, let’s go over what fish I have in my own reef and the basics of my reef (Dimensions, Age, Fish and Inverts).
So, for those who don’t know, I have 2 tanks and my main display is in my living room. This is the tank that has my Reef Safe With Caution fish in. My reef is a 3 year old 4’x2’x18” reef, I will often round it up to 2’ just to make it into feet without an awkward decimal on the end. Now, this reef has 7 Reef Safe With Caution fish in and in total it has 12 fish. Enjoy the FTS.
5FAD2BBC-5130-4D83-A5AB-BC2CFB7AD3D2.jpeg

So what are the 12 fish I own?
Amphiprion occelaris x A. percula (Black Photon Clownfish)
Chelmon rostratum (Copperband Butterfly)*
Siganus magnificus (Magnificent Foxface)*
Ctenochaetus binotatus (TwinSpot Bristletooth Tang)*
Cryptocentrus cinctus (Yellow Watchman Goby)
Pygoplites diacanthus (Regal Angel)*
Escenius lineatus (Linear Blenny)*
Halichoeres iridis (Radiant Wrasse)*
Halichoeres chloropterus (Jade Wrasse)*
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Sapphire Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse)

So, we’ve gone through the fish list. Now, my inverts are relatively simple so here you go.
Percnon gibbesi (Sally Light Foot Crab)*
Lysmata amboinensis (Skunk Cleaner Shrimp)
Stenopus scuttelatus (Golden Dwarf Boxer Shrimp)
Alpheus bellulus (Tiger Pistol Shrimp)
2x Lytechinus variegates (Pincushion Urchins)

Finally we’re done with the lists. In some of them you may see a * after their names. These are the ones we’re talking about, the RSWC animals and how I get around them. The other thing is how many of these aside from the Crab and Angel, all of those are 2-3 years old at this point so I have had a lot of ‘experimenting’ occur (and am currently doing it).

So, how can you have your own successful RSWC reef tank?

I guess if you’re looking at this and wanting to have a reef like mine the first thing we need to figure out is how is your fish/invert in this title? Is the fish you like known to eat corals such as a Copperband Butterfly or is it more of a risk towards Invertebrates like a Radiant Wrasse is. There is a third reason you may have something labelled as RSWC but we’ll get to that later.

So, I assume you’ve now figured out whether your fish is likely to eat coral or if it’s likely to eat Inverts. We’ll start with how to get around a coral muncher and then later go into how to get around an Invert eater (if you’re more interested in this side then skip the next paragraph).

So, you’ve found yourself liking and wanting a fish that is known for eating corals. Well, the easiest way to avoid this is what everyone would say;
FOWLR tanks. Yes these can look nice but other times you may think of it as an eyesore and want to add coral?
I would personally start with cheaper things. Avoiding Zoanthids and Palythoa is a good start as these are often on the menu for many angels, butterflies and other RSWC fish. I know the zoanthids I add often vanish without a trace, slowly going from 5-6 polyps and every day going down a polyp until just the frag plug remains. I would also avoid Fleshy LPS such as Scoly’s and Trachy’s as these are also often on the menu. So, what coral do I recommend starting with? Mushrooms! Yes they can be an eyesore but if you get the right one, a rock or two is stunning. My main focal rock I get questioned about the most is actually a rock of bubbled up Ricordea yuma. If you’re not into mushroom corals then the next coral I would try to find are Duncan’s. I absolutely love mine and very few fish prey on them. But, what if you want more Softies? Well, Leathers are more often than not avoided by RSWC fish, and this is due to their taste. I guess you may not all like the shedding though as it can upset other corals. So, Euphyllia and Fymbriaphyllia species are often ignored, this is from my experience due to being able to sting. Now, you may be more experienced and not like many LPS or Softies which is totally fine! Here’s what I recommend to you; SPS. Specifically I would start out by trying cheaper Acros, I have a colony of Acropora tortuosa in my tank (seen in the FTS on the back wall). I also recommend trying some Stylophora and Montipora (My second tank is actually a grow out for many of the corals I will try in my 4’ tank). Here’s just a few photos of coral types I have mentioned :)
57A07E4F-078D-4525-A4BF-5E31FA7E8987.jpeg
6F3B1CA9-DD07-4A6A-8FD0-12B1012B3539.jpeg

4B4EF8A1-C2B2-47E8-8CF4-7D3BA37E46B7.jpeg
5AEDD345-7E1F-4F14-9EE0-A155109CB8D1.jpeg

Now, you’ve found a fish that may eat inverts but you still want it, what do you do? Just like I said above, a FOWLR is what many recommend but you probably haven’t come here just for that answer so here’s what I do. First, I make sure the invert I want has a way to protect itself, whether that’s using an anemone, has a large role for other fish or if it has claws. If the invert ticks off those boxes, I then check its max size and make sure it cannot fit into the fish’s mouth. If it ticks off all of these boxes, I will then pull the trigger and try it. Often times it works, the other way you can do it is through adding the invert first so it’s established before the fish goes into the tank. I have done both before and after and it worked. But, what if the invert doesn’t tick off those boxes? In this case, I would get the invert in first. If the invert can hide in an anemone such as Anemone Shrimp can, I recommend getting a pairing anemone to give them protection. So, now we’ve gone through the check boxes what do I recommend for inverts? First off, every tank needs a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, they’re a marine staple! These guys have a role that often causes the fish to ignore them, they also get to a large max size (mine is Atleast 3.5 inches) and can’t fit into many mouths of fish we keep in the hobby. Another I recommend is a Stenopus species, these are relatively small shrimp however their claws are something most fish won’t mess with. My Golden Dwarf Boxer Shrimp went in after my Halichoeres established however he was left alone due to his claws and he could threaten them away. Other ones I would try and grab include Alpheus shrimp and a pairing goby. The Goby will offer the shrimp protection whilst the shrimp creates the burrow. Now, a non-shrimp invert I would go for is a Sally Lightfoot Crabs. These guys can be risky in their own way however if you don’t have incredibly small fish then you should be alright. Here’s a few photos of inverts I recommended looking into :)
DD0083C6-B6E1-42EA-AD14-0871C3161E6A.jpeg
A1F837E9-3127-4E90-BB05-49AAFDE4EE37.jpeg

28D8DC51-ABB5-4A60-AC34-C9B2833D3A51.jpeg

So, I assume if you haven’t figured out what type of ‘RSWC’ your fish is, it may be because I haven’t said it yet. Yes there is a third ‘type’ and that is because it eats smaller fish. Now, the only way to really avoid this is through avoiding small fish. When I say small I’m talking about fish that are 3” or less. This is excluding tall fish and aimed towards the thinner fish. The fish that are often predated on are the small Gobies and Blennies. Often, small elongated fish are predated on more than small but tall fish. Fish to avoid are most gobies outside of Cryptocentrus and most of the small blennies and larger blennies in Salarias or Escenius are more likely to be safe. There is still a risk with those however it isn’t as high. The other way you can avoid risking your current livestock is planning for tall bodied fish such as Butterflies or Clowns. Most of the Wrasses will also work however some genera can still be at risk. The best way I can say that will work is getting the fish you like small (juvenile) and letting it grow out with its tankmates. Just remember that instincts can still kick in though.

Well, that concludes this! I hope you enjoyed reading about how to keep RSWC fish in a reef tank and you now know that just because a fish is RSWC it doesn’t mean you can’t have it in a reef, you can always work around it!
That’s all from me :)
Bumping again with an update;
My Blenny passed and I picked up a beautiful Majestic Angel.
I cant blame her as I’ve not caught anyone chomping but my Duncan recently started to reduce fluffiness and is now 5-6 polyps from a colony of 25-30 heads. A leptastrea also reduced in polyps however again, I can’t blame the Majestic exactly as that was in after her.
D2312EDA-093D-43E5-9F31-4FBE66C75CDC.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to experiment, Bennetti Butterflies supposedly don't eat any Acropora if I recall correctly...
Honestly, that’s not experimenting IMO. If you want to experiment your best bet is to get fish that are likely to eat most coral types and then gamble.
If you want to work with RSWC fish but not worry about coral nipping it’s safest to go for species that won’t eat coral for sure.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back