Reef sand

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, if anyone is needing to buy sand for a new setup I was browsing around and Petco online is selling CaribSea 20lb Pink Fiji for 14.99 and special grade 20lb for 23.10. That's the cheapest I've seen so far! I think I'm about to pick me up a couple of special grade. Plus if you do pick up at a Petco they give you 10% off for ordering online or you can get it shipped to you without the 10% discount.
Screenshot_20220701-174848_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220701-174827_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great price if you're looking for Pink Fiji.
No doubt bro! For 20lbs as well. I like the Fiji Pink but I think I'm going with Special Grade so nothing will be blowing around. Just debating if I should put more then 60lbs in or not. I was going to go BB but then I do like the look of sand, just not to much sand.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt bro! For 20lbs as well. I like the Fiji Pink but I think I'm going with Special Grade so nothing will be blowing around. Just debating if I should put more then 60lbs in or not. I was going to go BB but then I do like the look of sand, just not to much sand.
As long as you don't go with Oolite you shouldn't really have too much sand blowing around (ask me how I know!)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 3 new bags of the Fiji Pink a couple weeks ago for my new 135 build. I will reuse the sand from my existing 55 (after a good washing) and I already had an extra bag on hand so I should be good with sand.

I ordered mine through Amazon, but it shipped via Petco, and I got it at the same $14.99 price!!

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got 3 new bags of the Fiji Pink a couple weeks ago for my new 135 build. I will reuse the sand from my existing 55 (after a good washing) and I already had an extra bag on hand so I should be good with sand.

I ordered mine through Amazon, but it shipped via Petco, and I got it at the same $14.99 price!!
I know I used Fiji Pink on a prior build but I forget how it did with flow. Does your bed get shifted around with the flow?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I used Fiji Pink on a prior build but I forget how it did with flow. Does your bed get shifted around with the flow?
No.

The fish I have, in particular the black capped damsels, shove the sand around relentlessly.

My wavemakers are near the surface and are aimed toward the center of the tank, not at the sand bed.

That said... I did at one time have a small powerhead mounted near the sand that DID dig out holes in the bed. Fiji Pink CAN and WILL be disturbed by direct flow.

If you use this sand, it may take a bit of tinkering to get the flow pattern set in a manner that will clean the sand without disturbing it.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That where i bought mine and I like the aragalive that comes with aragamilk booster

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, you WANT at least some disturbance to the surface of the sand. Be it via flow, or sand sifting livestock. A stagnant sand bed will start fouling a tank quickly. I believe this is why bare bottom tanks have been gaining popularity in this hobby for many years.

It is a bit confusing if you think about it. While sand is not a good media for promoting the Nitrogen cycle, it can very easily disrupt it!

Detritus, in the form of uneaten food and fish waste will collect on the surface. This is fact. If you do not have a means of disrupting this decaying material, it will stagnate and cause issues. The most common remedy for this is to increase flow. The thinking behind this conclusion is that moving water will displace the particles that settle on the sand bed and thus, prevent stagnation. The theory is sound as is. Unfortunately, the reality is that the results often are that the flow rate is excessive and ultimately detrimental to the system as a whole.

I prefer to utilize sand disrupting livestock as my primary means of prevention of this situation.

All of that said... every tank is as individual as its owner. What works for me, may not work for you. The variables that come into play here are incalculable. Your rock structure, your flow pattern, your livestock, ect ect.... This is an issue you will have to tinker with until you find the "sweet spot".

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion, you WANT at least some disturbance to the surface of the sand. Be it via flow, or sand sifting livestock. A stagnant sand bed will start fouling a tank quickly. I believe this is why bare bottom tanks have been gaining popularity in this hobby for many years.

It is a bit confusing if you think about it. While sand is not a good media for promoting the Nitrogen cycle, it can very easily disrupt it!

Detritus, in the form of uneaten food and fish waste will collect on the surface. This is fact. If you do not have a means of disrupting this decaying material, it will stagnate and cause issues. The most common remedy for this is to increase flow. The thinking behind this conclusion is that moving water will displace the particles that settle on the sand bed and thus, prevent stagnation. The theory is sound as is. Unfortunately, the reality is that the results often are that the flow rate is excessive and ultimately detrimental to the system as a whole.

I prefer to utilize sand disrupting livestock as my primary means of prevention of this situation.

All of that said... every tank is as individual as its owner. What works for me, may not work for you. The variables that come into play here are incalculable. Your rock structure, your flow pattern, your livestock, ect ect.... This is an issue you will have to tinker with until you find the "sweet spot".
I usually always have a good amount of nassarius snails roaming around so that shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you talking about? I gave you the link. I just put a bag into my cart for $26.99. I gave you the link dude. Check it again.
My bad, I didn't see you post the link. My screen had your link on the bottom covered and I only read the comment and then replied back.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back