OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy two bags to get free shipping. Too funny.
Do you know if they always carry it at this price? I'm still having to piece things together and would rather start with getting my return and rodi machine first. Sand isn't really to important right now but if it's only temporary then I might as well just get 2 bags now while it last. If you know what I mean?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if they always carry it at this price? I'm still having to piece things together and would rather start with getting my return and rodi machine first. Sand isn't really to important right now but if it's only temporary then I might as well just get 2 bags now while it last. If you know what I mean?
Price fluctuates. Like I said ,I paid $19.99 a few months ago. But I also bought a 200 gallon box of Reef Crystals salt from them for $22. It’s now $63.98. Take your chances

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sales come and go. the RODI will likely be the same price a month from now as it is today. Take a bargain while you can get it!!

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a great price, like $22 for a 200 gallon box of reef crystals salt, I strike. I have another four boxes in my other closet. No lie.

07643CCD-CFFC-4CA3-B842-FAA71D4BBCB4.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer special grade or a mix. I'd also go with dry if you get that sand. Otherwise you are just likely throwing money away

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a great price, like $22 for a 200 gallon box of reef crystals salt, I strike. I have another four boxes in my other closet. No lie.

07643CCD-CFFC-4CA3-B842-FAA71D4BBCB4.jpeg

Awesome!! I have 2 buckets of RC and 3 bags in my water change room for the same reason.. Got a deal and bought in bulk!!

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Price fluctuates. Like I said ,I paid $19.99 a few months ago. But I also bought a 200 gallon box of Reef Crystals salt from them for $22. It’s now $63.98. Take your chances
dang, for $22 bucks you should have gotten several boxes and just flipped it when the price jumps

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I should really start scrolling through the post before replying back. It so happened that you post the pictures of all the RC you purchased and stored.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, for $22 bucks you should have gotten several boxes and just flipped it when the price jumps
I did. I think I bought four boxes from them at $22 each. I also bought from Petco and Amazon in the high 20s. Best time to do shopping on this kind of stuff is at the end of the year. That’s when they look to move out inventory. Clearance-type sales and efforts to boost revenue for the year-end.

OP
OP
Huynhter_Soldier

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did. I think I bought four boxes from them at $22 each. I also bought from Petco and Amazon in the high 20s. Best time to do shopping on this kind of stuff is at the end of the year. That’s when they look to move out inventory. Clearance-type sales.
I didn't know that. Have to keep that in mind. Is there a limit they will allow you to purchase?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
????

How so?

According to Ryan at brs, it's freshwater bacteria that helps with a cycle a little but doesn't last. They add this after drying and sifting the sand for uniformity. Plus even if it was marine cycling bacteria, it would be cheaper a lot of times to simply buy that separately.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Ryan at brs, it's freshwater bacteria that helps with a cycle a little but doesn't last. They add this after drying and sifting the sand for uniformity. Plus even if it was marine cycling bacteria, it would be cheaper a lot of times to simply buy that separately.

Interesting...

Brings up a question. And, a reason I distrust BRS as the "be all end all" source of information.

Why in the world would Carib Sea, who manufactures sand specifically for salt water application, use FRESH WATER cycling bacteria for their final product?

As it happens, I have used Carib Sea brand sand for all of my builds. Specifically the Fiji Pink grade sand.

Granted, I also used several pieces of rock from existing tanks to skip-cycle my builds, but again, the question arises, WHY?

Further, if the consensus is fact, that the sand has a minimal effect on cycling, and added to that point, that fully washing new sand is the preferred method, who cares what bacteria is added to the Carib Sea product?

When I began my 55g build, I searched high and low for "dry sand". The result was a significantly higher priced product with far less availability of grading. The Carib Sea product was hands down the best option I found.

If you have a source of dry sand that beats the product in discussion here, please post it so we can discuss. I would love to see the pros and cons.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get a little deeper into this subject.

I just took one of my bags of sand and placed it on my digital bathroom scale. The result is 20.2 lbs. So in essence, it IS correct, that buying this product is wasteful if you consider the water weight included in the final product.

20# of DRY sand will yield more sand than 20# of the Carib Sea sand.

How much water is included in the bag? I don't know, and frankly, I am not willing to spend the time to dry out a bagful to find out.. Perhaps 15%?

Since this product is easier to find, and far less in cost over the dry sand, I suspect that the majority of people will go this route.

This, plus the availability of differing grades at a reasonable cost is another reason to expect that this will be the preferred sand for most.

Should I take a sample from a bag and send it to a lab to test what bacteria is present in the bag as it comes off the shelf? Again, does it matter? Most people will either use a bottled bacteria to cycle or, like me, use rocks from an established tank to skip-cycle. So again, who cares what is in the bag as far as cycling bacteria? ESPECIALLY, if they wash the sand completely before adding it to the tank??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back