Reef Saver - Curing

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently purchased 25lbs BRS Reef Saver dry rock to start an IM 25 Lagoon, and have conflicting information on whether I should cure the rock or not.

It is advertised as the 'cleanest rock from BRS', and free of nuisance algae/pests.

The BRS FAQ for Reef Saver has conflicting information about whether this rock requires a cure, before putting it in my tank to cycle. One response to a curing question, recommends curing to 'build beneficial bacteria and remove dirt and contaminants' (Connor, BRS Admin, March 2016). Another response recommended just putting the rock in the tank to cycle with the sand (BRS admin 2014).

Is this a rock that you would recommend curing, before cycling? It has been washed and rinsed, and ready for the next step.

Evoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also interested in this AS I am about to purchase the same amount and also have a lagoon 25.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Evoguy, after reading more, and talking with my LFS, I decided to go ahead and put the rock in without curing. So far (3 days), there are no detectable phosphates. However, I would highly recommend rinsing the rock well. It's advertised as washed on BRS, however lots of sediment came off through washing.

I'll keep you updated on the phosphates!

Evoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I will probably rinse it really good and maybe cure it for about a week in ro water with heater and powerhead Before placing it in tank. Thanks and yes keep me updated plz

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back