Reef & Seahorse Design

Vanezia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering setting up a new tank, but looking for some help on the concept of it. I am having a custom made tank and stand built (6ft x 3ft x 3ft). What i would like is to add a acrylic divider section into the tank and have three quarter of the tank set up as a mixed reef and the other quarter set up for seahorses with macro algae.

Would i be better to have the acrylic tank divider drilled with small holes to have flow between the sections or have them completely separate and just run off the same sump?

AllIDoisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank glass or acrylic? If it’s a glass tank an acrylic divider will likely need a good amount of silicone to stay in place which wouldn’t be attractive. The divider would also mostly become an eyesore with algae or coraline algae.

OP
OP
Vanezia

Vanezia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank glass or acrylic? If it’s a glass tank an acrylic divider will likely need a good amount of silicone to stay in place which wouldn’t be attractive. The divider would also mostly become an eyesore with algae or coraline algae.
The tank will be acrylic, so the section will be bonded in place. Coraline algae will be the main concern

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post your question in the seahorse and pipefish sub forum. The immediate problem I see is that seahorses need to be kept at one temperature (because higher than 72 or 74 degrees and they are much more likely to get serious/fatal bacterial infections) and a mixed reef needs to be kept at a different temperature.

Things I’d have questions about are:

1) would the seahorses be at risk from pathogens from the reef side?
2) how would you handle filtration since seahorses need a *lot* of food in the tank and frequent removal.

(I considered seahorses so did a lot of research on them and ultimately concluded that at this point in my life it wouldn’t be fair to me or them to try and keep them.)

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vanezia wondering what you ultimately did as I am considering the same but with all glass. In my case I will have a solid wall and separate water systems but was warned about temperature requirements as sea horses prefer slightly cooler water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back