Reef Spotlight - July 2010 - "Aquabacs"

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Mike you did it again. Not only another well deserved TOM but you set a new standard in presenting it. Congrates!

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Don, I would have loved to try to make the entire presentation broken down into a few videos, equipment, fish, corals, crinoids, ect. Something for me to work on.

Mike

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment Shots

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

Mike

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show you what I have been working on. At the end of May I picked up a colony of Dendrophyllia gracilis picked up from Live Aquaria. The colony arrived in good physical shape. Coral's polyps seemed to be very weak and the colony would require work to have full polyp extension. Normally I would bucket feed the coral until the colony would show good extension but this colony was way to large to do this on a daily basis so I did it in tank. Started out with first adding Cyclop-eeze to the aquarium then waited 20-30 minutes before the next step of the process. Turned off all pumps then feed each individual polyp on pellet of Fauna Marin LPS+ (it is time consuming but worth it, not a task to take up if you do not have patience). The polps that showed slight extension were feed mysis and the polyps that were still struggling along were feed the LPS+ pellets.
[YOUTUBE]ePkT2vmcsZo[/YOUTUBE]

With daily hand feeding the colony is coming around. As of July 16th this is how the colony is looking.
[YOUTUBE]g0o7KF3UMoY[/YOUTUBE]

The colony is taking in about 3 cubes of mysis daily and is being fed the LPS+ pellets evey other day now.

Mike

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you even get corals and for this thing

You need to search out non-photosynthetic corals but you can find them over time. If you have a good relationship with your local fish store you can ask them to order items in for you or notify you when items become available.

Mike

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the warm compliments!

The other night I traded my Holanthias borbonius with a fellow reefer for 5 Pseudanthias parvirostris. I was able to catch 2 of them out and they are still getting adjusted to the tank.
[YOUTUBE]dRNRWFk4Aq8[/YOUTUBE]

Mike

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, impressive that you keep it so clean given your bio load. '

cheers,
Darren

Aquabacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, impressive that you keep it so clean given your bio load. '

cheers,
Darren

Thank you very much. After reading through the thread I noticed something was missing...

Water Parameters:
Specific Gravity: 1.026 sg
PH: 7.7 - 8.1
Calcium: 380 ppm
Alkalinity: 7 - 8 DKH
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Phosphate: .5 - 1 ppm
Magnesium: 1300 ppm
Temperature: 70°- 72°F

Maintenance:
50% water changes are conducted weekly: 25% every Wednesday & 25% every Saturday. Salt used is E.S.V B-Ionic Seawater System salt mix (salt works out well, mixes clear and ready safely use in less than 30 minutes). Skimmer cup is cleaned daily. Once a month sump is completely drained, cleaned, skimmer is disassembled and cleaned as well.

Mike

Last edited:

Carlton'stank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very impressive. Your system has taken a different direction than the norm, but it is inspiring to see something executed so well. Keep it up, this is inspiring.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding

Fishmate auto feeder and floating feeding ring used for dry foods.

Refrigerated Auto-feeding System
Avanti 1.7 cu. ft refrigerator
Bubble Magnus BM-T01 dosing pump

IMG_0062-2.jpg

The refrigerated auto feeding system was taken from a design used by Steve Weast. The systems concept is to deliver refrigerated Reef Nutrition liquid foods to the aquarium consistantly throughout the day without the issue of foods spoiling.

Awesome! I may have to do this, I had been thinking about it but had never pushed past it being a thought.​

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back