Reef Spotlight - July 2012 - "DanRigle"

Thank you for all the kind words.I appreciate it very much.This is a great group and forum and I thank you all for letting me be a part.There are many very nice and thriving aquariums in the Reef spotlight and I am humbled and very excited to be included.
 
Dan well done and well deserved! You have an awesome aquarium my friend!
 
Congratulations Dan! You have a beautiful, mature tank that is chock-full-of gorgeous, healthy and colorful corals. Well-deserved spotlight! :bigsmile:
 
Thank you everyone.I do appreciate the kind comments
The Radiums are 250 watt,changed yearly
 
gorgeous tank! I love the vlamingi tang :) I had 2 but they passed last year when my tank crashed
 
Thank you.It has been a pleasure to share my story
 
Unbelievable your tank is fantastic the extension of the polyps or really great. Can you tell me how old is your tank and how long did it take to get like this.are you doing any dosing and use any additives.
 

Thanks

Big fan here. Love the old school acros!


Thanks,me too.


Unbelievable your tank is fantastic the extension of the polyps or really great. Can you tell me how old is your tank and how long did it take to get like this.are you doing any dosing and use any additives.

The tank has been running about 10 years but all live stock was transferred from another mature reef.The PE and better colors became evident I believe when I started to pay careful attention to PO4 and ALK and kept them at optimal stable levels.Using Hanna checkers now I can see the correlation between coral health and color and PO4 readings for example at certain alkalinity.Some of the rock and corals in my system are 18 years old as is the clam.

Beautiful tank! Congrats Dan! What kind of salt are you using ?

Thanks.I am using IO and I tweek my mixing barrel (with MgCl and CaCl )to suit my tanks parameters or deficiencies at the weekly water change time.
For example,if my tank is running a bit low on the Mg,I will make the water change water rich in Mg(ie 1500ppm or 1600ppm or greater) and this helps keep large swings from occurring.This is also mixed and aerated overnight to blow off any cl and allow time for bonding.With many large stoney corals etc...the demands are high.This is why I have found nothing better then weekly water changes to have the best results.IO seems to be the best for my application and has been very consistent for the last year or so.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new