Reef stew, how much can I dump in?

MikeyMizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I just bought reef stew for the first time. 6 cups! I’m wondering if I’m going to get into trouble if I add it all at once. My tank is probably 75g total water volume. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you!

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I just bought reef stew for the first time. 6 cups! I’m wondering if I’m going to get into trouble if I add it all at once. My tank is probably 75g total water volume. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you!
...yeah, IMO that would be a bit too much...I have a 120g and I add 2 cups every 3 weeks...1 cup for my 30g every 3 weeks...why did you buy so much?

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put an air stone in it, in another container and it’ll keep for a while.

OP
OP
MikeyMizz

MikeyMizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, rookie mistake. Didn’t know what the heck I was doing lol. But it was so cheap!
...yeah, IMO that would be a bit too much...I have a 120g and I add 2 cups every 3 weeks...1 cup for my 30g every 3 weeks...why did you buy so much?

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of town are you in? If you’re in Mesa, anywhere close, I’ve got some you can borrow.

OP
OP
MikeyMizz

MikeyMizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Thank you so much, but pretty much really far from you. North phoenix! Bob (reef stew maker, I think) replied to a post on Facebook and seems like it may be ok to add it.... he said he put a gallon in his 240g. Of course, he probably has way more coral than me....
What part of town are you in? If you’re in Mesa, anywhere close, I’ve got some you can borrow.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing nothing catastrophic would happen... Do you have much coral and/or fish?

OP
OP
MikeyMizz

MikeyMizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good amount of softies, so it’s not like it’s a bare bones tank. And a decent amount of fish. A couple cups in a nano seems like a relative amount. I’m going to do it and see! (Famous last words)
Appreciate the help!

For what it’s worth, I’ve put a couple cups in a nano, with no issues.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob recommends that if you’re putting in large amounts of reef stew to first remove the same amount of water from your tank that you are planning to add of stew.

this ensure that your salinity stays stable and doesn’t spike through evap.

outside of that there’s really no big issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back