Reef Tank Gown Down

Shakeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I dont know whats going on I had a cap die then some ducan then all my feather dusters (mini) look sick hell everything is lookin bleek I tested my parameters salinty spot on cal.480 alk 9 nitrate 0 phosphate almost un detectable mag 1500 temp is super stable (chiller and fans)I truely am lost to why my thriving reef just started dying.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any parameter fluctuations, like alkalinity swings? Any copper somehow get into the tank? What are your ammonia and nitrite levels? If anything died they should be rising and may not have been converted to nitrate yet. Ammonia and nitrite are much more toxic to the tank than nitrate, so it's best to test for ammonia and nitrite too.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also want to check your heater.

OP
OP
S

Shakeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank has been setup just over a year but the water live rock and sand was used from my previous 150 gallon that ran for four years.But i pulled the heaters to inspect them and one showed signs of burned insides and my skimmer has been going crazy pulling out this stuff that looks like carbon

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a polyfilter into the sump, run carbon and start water changes. SOMETHING is making your skimmer go nuts, and most likely that something is tied to the crash. The quicker you get it out, the faster you can stop the losses.

Test for ammonia and nitrites immediately. If you find ammonia, add some Prime to lock it up.

YIf a heater blew, it can dump heavy metals and contaminants into the tank. The polyfilter will pull it out, the carbon will help purify, and the water changes will dilute. If you get moving, you might stop the crash before it gets too far gone.

I had one of the exploding stealth heaters last year. The polyfilter and carbon saved my tank.

OP
OP
S

Shakeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after running filter socks changing carbon every other day a dosing prime everyday my reef tanks die off have come to an halt.And I figured out what happened well I recently bought a sixline wrasse and a bicolor blenny OMG!! the blenny was eating on every montipora cause them to put off this protection slim well they were pumping this slime stuff out and the power heads were just wipping it around getting every where and all that it touched died or was dieing.So some carbon filter socks and some prime ohh and the life saver home made 2 liter fish traps.Now im on the road to recovery lost all my ducans a sunset monti a buble coral and a octopus frogspawn man these sps corals can really wpie out there nieghbors when in trouble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back