Reef tank selection help!

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys today is the DAY!

I am going to place the order for my tank and I just read that IM has come out with its fusion line! I am loving how they look but I am in a total pickle!

I love the 30g dimensions but I am worried about the amount of space. 36X15X13"

I love the 40g space but I wish it was in the footprint of the 30g! 24X20X19"

I want to put a whole bunch of corals in the tank. The most fussy probably being a RTBA.

For fish I want to keep 1 clown, a couple gobys, a small tang (perhaps yellow) and a mandarin.

Optional wrasse.

So what do you guys think? What size should I go with to make that combination thrive? Please let me know ASAP the order needs to go in today to avoid shipping costs.

Again thanks for all your help!

John

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish wish list already exceeds the livestock capabilities of a 30 or 40 gal. I think you won't be happy with a small tank.

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tang is pushing it
um... suggested minimum tank size for any tang is 100 gallons. For the mandarin goby, you want to make sure your tank is VERY mature otherwise the lack of live food will starve it to death.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go with the bigger tank. You rarely hear people say they wish they'd gone smaller :)

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish wish list already exceeds the livestock capabilities of a 30 or 40 gal. I think you won't be happy with a small tank.

um... suggested minimum tank size for any tang is 100 gallons. For the mandarin goby, you want to make sure your tank is VERY mature otherwise the lack of live food will starve it to death.

either adjust the fish list or adjust the tank size...no go for a tang in a 30-40g

All of this. sounds like you might want to do a bit more research on your desired inhabitants, And either shift your selections, or consider going with a larger tank. If the AIO if your preference, there is the IM SR series. seem like nice tanks, or you can go the way of a DT & sump.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this. sounds like you might want to do a bit more research on your desired inhabitants, And either shift your selections, or consider going with a larger tank. If the AIO if your preference, there is the IM SR series. seem like nice tanks, or you can go the way of a DT & sump.

Yeah I know that the tang will cause problems, and I never said I was going to add a mandarin right away. I have read on numerous forums where people have been able to house a yellow tang in something as small as a 30g. Anyways if the fish is stressed I can always take it back to the LFS and dump it back into their 20G tank.

I looked at the SR-60-80 but that is a HEFTY amount of change to throw at a tank. The Fusion's are $800, if what you guys are saying is true I would have to go with the SR-120 at $3000! That is way too much tank and way too much money for me I am sorry. I could do a DIY tank but it is not nearly as sleek as an IM tank.

Due to space I ended up ordering the 40 Fusion. The benefit is the net on top to hopefully avoid fish leaps of death and the straight edge design vs the curved. I will be taking it slow... I will add the mandarin after 8+ months, and I will probably hold off on the tang for now.

Thanks for your input

John

JReefaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on the tang until you get a larger tank. Tangs need a lot of open space to swim and they are normally found in the wild grazing on algae. I watch my tangs in my 180 which is 6 feet wide and wish I could give them more swimming space.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powder Blue loves to show off and flash and zoom. It can do three laps around the 120g in less than 2 seconds - not exaggerating. It can move faster than the eye can see almost. I'm thinking larger tank now even though it's my only tang and it's fat and happy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say your good on everything except for the tang. A tang just will not do well in a tank that size. I understand ambitious fish lists and pushing the limits...but you have posted this list which opens it up for suggestions and words of wisdom bought from experience...and trust me...no tang should be put in a 30-40g tank. It simply will not do well.

You mentioned the LFS 20g holding tank...you need to know that no LFS is planning to keep a fish in that tank long term (more than a couple of weeks). They are counting on a fast turn over. So, you can't compare your LFS holding tanks to your own display tank...they're for two different purposes and for much different time periods.

JReefaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the melanarus wrasse. I have a pretty big one in my 180. Not sure on the tank size requirements for him but he has some pretty cool colors and he's normally out and about or cruising between the rocks.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back