Reef tank struggling

Kika Chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon tank with tons of torch coral, a small patch of star polyps, small patch of pulsing xenia, and a few branches of frogspawn. All of which are struggling. Change water often but don't test much. Frogspawn in particular used to be huge, now it's barely visible. Torch is proliferating but is not fat and fabulous looking. Thoughts anyone?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon tank with tons of torch coral, a small patch of star polyps, small patch of pulsing xenia, and a few branches of frogspawn. All of which are struggling. Change water often but don't test much. Frogspawn in particular used to be huge, now it's barely visible. Torch is proliferating but is not fat and fabulous looking. Thoughts anyone?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Also suspect water parameters. FOWLR tanks have fewer water testing requirements, but to keep corals happy involves testing and maintaining fairly stable water parameters. If even xenia is suffering my vote is water parameters, light or flow, but would need a lot more info to narrow down what is causing "struggling." This site has TONS of great posts already, so fingers crossed you have your tank turned back around soon!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in California:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsating xenia really! I started with one little plug of it now 1/4 of the top of my tank is covered with it. You will need some good forceps to grab the bottom of the stalk and twist they will come lose. I have to thin mine out or they block the light to my other corals.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! If there is any place that can get you fixed up, I think the coral experts here can get you covered! I am definitely not one of those coral experts, but let's try to consolidate the above questions.

Testing:
what parameters have you been testing?
Do you have a recorded history of those results?
What test kits do you have? Brand? And what parameter do they measure?
And what are your test results today?

Water:
What is your water source?
What salt are you using?

Lighting:
What lights are you using?
What is your lighting schedule?
If LED, what levels and mixes are you running the lights at?
Are the lights on a timed schedule?
How often do you change the schedule?
When was the last time you changed the schedule?

Flow:
What filtration are you using?
Do you have a sump?
Do you know the flow rate?
What powerheads are you using?

In addition:
How long has the tank been running?
Can you provide pictures or better yet videos so the experts can see flow?
Describe better what "struggling" means. I could interpret that anywhere between "they aren't growing as fast as I want" to "they are melting in front of my face right now".

The more info you provide, the more help you will receive. Good luck and welcome in!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAITHFUL, WEEKLY 20% water changes would be a good place to start. It will help you to remove nutrients from the water and replenish elements consumed by the inhabitants of the tank (think calcium, alkalinity). You should also test now and then again after water changes to calculate consumption rates of those essential elements.

Do this faithfully for 2 months and go from there.

You want to make changes one at a time as you won't identify the problem making multiple changes at the same time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dont know how else to say but that you are operating under the bare minimum and this will be the result. Its hard to change water and assume all is good as some salt mixes are higher and lower in elements and test results will indicate what is missing or elevated.
The relationshio some have in your tank are light and water flow needs. Most are satisfied with moderate light and water flow while torch is medium for both and need to be elevated in the tank.
Elevated nitrate and Phosphate are often what upsets them and the need for testing is of importance. Hanna and salifert kits will be reliable in giving you results.
Pics of tank under white lighting would also be helpful with assessment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back