Reef Tank Water Level Issues

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with my reef tanks water levels. The water level in the return pump section is constantly changing and it is not due to evaporation. I know this because for the past two weeks I have had my ato off. I have been manually topping off the water and then a couple minutes later the water level will drop back down. I would refill and then the water level would be constant and then a couple hours later the water level will be higher than where it was topped off to. The water level in the display tank is also shifting and never stays the same. I just upgraded the pump so I know it’s not due to the return pump. There is one main drain with a gate valve on it as well as one emergency drain. I’m not sure what is causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

95169044-1F5D-408A-85EB-38B6AE154698.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sound like there is an imbalance in which the pump is returning water to tank faster than its coming in (high level), then the water is coming to sump faster than pumped out (low level). Check and clean pump for any possible restrictions.

OP
OP
Master of Cloak

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like there is an imbalance in which the pump is returning water to tank faster than its coming in (high level), then the water is coming to sump faster than pumped out (low level). Check and clean pump for any possible restrictions.
The pump is brand new. Maybe I need to play with the gate valve some more? Possibly buy a higher quality one?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you also have any wavemakers or gyres that are on random flow and pointing towards your overflow in anyway and it turns up higher itll trigger your return chamber to lower level, when the wavemaker/gyre goes to a slower speed itll raise your return level.

Happens on mine anyway since all my stuff is set to random flow. Maybe the same thing with yours. I fixed it by not pointing anything to my overflow.

OP
OP
Master of Cloak

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed the gate valve and have been able to get the water level to stay constant and the drains to be quiet however when I turn one my mp40’s the drains get loud. Any idea what to do next?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back