Reef Tank With A Cephalopod

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that I asked this question before, but I can’t find the post.
Just about all of the articles and posts that I’ve read about the possibility of having coral and an octopus is the same tank are pretty old. Some of them were over 10 years old.
The consensus was that you probably shouldn’t keep octopus with coral. I’m wondering if that’s still the general feeling? Especially when an available octopus for aquarium keeping, Octopus briareus, is known as a “Reef Octopus”. Obviously you wouldn’t want to keep anything that could sting the octopus, but what about other coral? I’ve also read that Cuttlefish are ok to be kept with coral.
So, what do you guys think?

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopus are scavengers they may eat any coral they see as potienal food. I honestly don’t really recommend it

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just about all of the articles and posts that I’ve read about the possibility of having coral and an octopus is the same tank are pretty old. Some of them were over 10 years old.
The consensus was that you probably shouldn’t keep octopus with coral. I’m wondering if that’s still the general feeling? Especially when an available octopus for aquarium keeping, Octopus briareus, is known as a “Reef Octopus”. Obviously you wouldn’t want to keep anything that could sting the octopus, but what about other coral? I’ve also read that Cuttlefish are ok to be kept with coral.
So, what do you guys think?
I researched cuttlefish a while back, didn't see much regarding their reef safe-ness, however, sounds like they are very short lived (even in nature), and to keep them long term you have to breed them. . . not sure if that helps but it's all I know haha.

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There it is! Thanks!

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy years back that kept a cuttlefish in a 400. Was a member of Bay Area Reefers. I'd try and track him down for info. They require a tank to themselves and a very stress free environment. I believe they are longer lived than most octopus you can purchase in the hobby. This is way beyond 'expert only' care requirements.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back