Reef Tank With A Cephalopod

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guns286
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2022
Messages
97
Reaction score
84
Location
Westchester County NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that I asked this question before, but I can’t find the post.
Just about all of the articles and posts that I’ve read about the possibility of having coral and an octopus is the same tank are pretty old. Some of them were over 10 years old.
The consensus was that you probably shouldn’t keep octopus with coral. I’m wondering if that’s still the general feeling? Especially when an available octopus for aquarium keeping, Octopus briareus, is known as a “Reef Octopus”. Obviously you wouldn’t want to keep anything that could sting the octopus, but what about other coral? I’ve also read that Cuttlefish are ok to be kept with coral.
So, what do you guys think?
 
Octopus are scavengers they may eat any coral they see as potienal food. I honestly don’t really recommend it
 
I’m pretty sure that I asked this question before, but I can’t find the post.
Just about all of the articles and posts that I’ve read about the possibility of having coral and an octopus is the same tank are pretty old. Some of them were over 10 years old.
The consensus was that you probably shouldn’t keep octopus with coral. I’m wondering if that’s still the general feeling? Especially when an available octopus for aquarium keeping, Octopus briareus, is known as a “Reef Octopus”. Obviously you wouldn’t want to keep anything that could sting the octopus, but what about other coral? I’ve also read that Cuttlefish are ok to be kept with coral.
So, what do you guys think?
I researched cuttlefish a while back, didn't see much regarding their reef safe-ness, however, sounds like they are very short lived (even in nature), and to keep them long term you have to breed them. . . not sure if that helps but it's all I know haha.
 
There was a guy years back that kept a cuttlefish in a 400. Was a member of Bay Area Reefers. I'd try and track him down for info. They require a tank to themselves and a very stress free environment. I believe they are longer lived than most octopus you can purchase in the hobby. This is way beyond 'expert only' care requirements.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new