reef tanks and iodine

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am and I don't see any vast improvement but I have many zoa's and I thought most would disappear as they were shrinking. The all seem to have gotten a little bigger but it's hard to tell since I see them every day.

I also dose iron but Randy would fall down and croak if he knew how so don't tell him.
I got a glass jar of nails I put in salt water. Every day or so I squirt some rusty water in my tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thats mainly to help the seaweed on my algae scrubber have more color and volume. That seems to work, of course it could also be my imagination but if nothing else, I found a use for old nails. :D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am and I don't see any vast improvement but I have many zoa's and I thought most would disappear as they were shrinking. The all seem to have gotten a little bigger but it's hard to tell since I see them every day.

I also dose iron but Randy would fall down and croak if he knew how so don't tell him.
I got a glass jar of nails I put in salt water. Every day or so I squirt some rusty water in my tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thats mainly to help the seaweed on my algae scrubber have more color and volume. That seems to work, of course it could also be my imagination but if nothing else, I found a use for old nails. :D
I applaud you for your nonchalant ways to reefing, and much of what you do, or have done is gospel now in the hobby. I often wonder how your reef has survived all these years with some of the "experimenting" you have done over the years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly did some experimenting that I wouldn't advise anyone to do. But after 51 years the thing is still running.
A few times the year I set it up the tank was so full of parasites, flatworms and bristleworms that I decided to Clorox the water. I didn't invent that it was Robert Straughn "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping"

You remove the fish and put in a cup of"Regular" Clorox to 50 gallons of water. After 3 days remove the chlorine with double the dose of chlorine remover and you are good to go. That water is still in my tank and my fish spawned in it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: The first squid eggs hatched in captivity were in Clorox treated water.

Of course I always added mud, snails, crabs, seaweeds etc. from the sea. Anything "mucky" looking was great.

When the hobby started, I used to be called to fish wholesalers in New York to cure pop eye with a hypodermic needle or remove tumors from their fish. It was fun but once I had to remove a tumor from the lip of a large green moray eel. It was successful but there is really no way to hold one of those things. Very slimy.

I think people today use to much technology and not enough common sense which is why the disease forum is often the most popular place to post. Fish kept correctly almost never get sick even if they see a picture of Nancy Pelosi or hear Rap music. :cool:

PS I feel the reverse undergravel filter in conjunction with an algae scrubber is one important key to this hobby. But thats just me :D

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experimenting with Iodide. My pieces are not looking great right now. Lost color on most with burnt tips. I received my ICP back and Iodine is low. I have read some threads where others with burnt tips turned around in a couple of weeks after dosing Iodide. I am going to dose daily for the next couple of weeks and see how things look.

I will update in a couple of weeks.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates for me everything is status Quo.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back