Reef2Reef Pest algae challenge thread hydrogen peroxide

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also working for substrate. This was direct application to large clumps with "fogging" around them, same application as the rocks.
8Qdl3uy.jpg

LfuO7gr.jpg

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is water change day. I am going to remove the rocks and spray directly with 3% peroxide and leave out for 4-5 minutes prior to rinse and replacement into the tank. I'll hopefully have some positive followup pics to post. This is the primary trouble spot before...

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removal and treatment earlier this afternoon, the algae definitely looks rough, and somewhat bleached out. The heliopora is NOT happy, I'm hoping it recovers. Despite having rinsed the rocks prior to placing back in to the tank, my sand based xenia is also showing signs of stress. I'll report back tomorrow with any more updates.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days rebound time usually pans out no prob if you have any losses I'll list any new editions on our caution list thank you for posting!

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main tank has bubble algae. I wanted to move some corals to my 17 gallon. Since I had such success with peroxide and bryopsis, I figured I would give the corals a quick dip in a 1:4 ratio peroxide(OTC 3%):salt water before moving them, and after mechanically removing any signs of algae.

• Blastos: Toughest corals I own. I swear I could roll them in dog doo, cook them at 350 for 35 minutes, then freeze them and they'd come back. No problems.
  • Zoas: A day or two of ticked-off-ness then back to normal.
  • Flowerpot: Dead. It never recovered. :( I liked this coral.
  • SPS ("katrapora"): Weakly recovering. I knew an SPS was a risk, but wanted this little frag in the 17 so gave it a shot. It's not dead, but if I'd left it in there any longer than the minute or so it got, it certainly would be.
Oh, and here's how bad the infestation is.

VI8Jaok.jpg

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab an emerald crab, leave the lights off and let him eat. If you pop just one of those in the tank, you're in trouble.

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 emeralds from John. One died right away, then another one shortly after. The remaining 3 I have spotted eating bubble. But right after I put them in my sexy shrimp (both) and my pistol shrimp (one) disappeared. They don't eat it very fast. I then bought a foxface which is eating it far more aggressively. Enough that I'm confident he can keep up once it's gone. So this weekend will be an attack the bubble algae weekend. I'm breaking out the scrapers and knives and removing as much as I can mechanically.

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 emeralds is bad unless it's like a 120g with 2 tons of rock in it. They will attack each other until 1 strong one is left alive, if the available rock-space and food is limited. They are not nice neighbors and like a good foot of rock area to call their own. I found that out myself introducing one too many into a 29G biocube. 3 became 1 overnight.

I would protect the attached inverts with plastic wrap, down to the rock surface and use a spray bottle to spritz full-strength 3% across the rock surface after you've removed most of the bubbles. You don't need to dip the entire rock. Spray one side as it sits, let it sit for 30 seconds then rotate the rock and spray more. Soak the areas near the invert bases so it will flood up to the bases. I would soak the surface twice as you move around. Just stick the rock back in the tank when you are done, you don't need to rinse it. H2O2 produces water and oxygen when it oxidizes.

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, you can buy spray-bottle peroxide at the drug store these days for wound application. I just have large bottles of chemicals so I buy my own dispensers. :D

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is that the columns of rock in my tank are epoxied together. Some weigh 40+lbs. I'm not removing them until I get my new custom acrylic. That tank I'm picking up on Tuesday, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I actually migrate from one to the other. It'll be a PITA because I'm using the same stand and sump.

Oh, and I'm running 75lbs of rock in a 70. I expected a certain percentage of die-off of the emeralds, and ended up with the 3 I had hoped for. I have 3 primary columns in this tank, and each one has staked out a column.

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.. Hm. If it's macrophysa you may be OK trying to remove some of it in-tank. Just kill all flow so you can catch any loose bits with a net. Since you're relocating stuff soon you can give it a rinse-off in a dip bucket of new water before you move it. You may not need to dose anything.

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I need to buy a bunch of tubs to do this...
I've used a large HOT filter before on a dip tub to filter out the floating stuff. You can also use a 100% white cotton pillow case or a low thread-count cotton flat sheet to make a large filter cloth that you can pull out and shake off to keep the tub water clean.

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I actually have a HOT filter. I had planned on using it in the tub with the fish during this process.. But a simple airstone may be fine if I don't feed them for a few days first.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Look at his most tolerant coral, the zos.

Yes that's great I remember watching that vid. Link it on up in full if you find it! All resources and comparatives welcome. We find and use repeating variables to get what we need from peroxide. Justin Cs posts about it were literally the first time I'd ever heard of it being in a reef tank, long about 2010

I'm poor at math and will recheck, but if not mistaken those doses above are mega doses we haven't ever used as dips? Handy to know if this is the case, 250 mils per liter surpasses Russ' overdose testing by orders and it's neat to see what corals tolerate this range.

Last edited:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, just to emphasize that these are for 5 MIN DIPS, OUTSIDE OF YOUR TANK. THESE ARE NOT FULL TANK DOSAGES!

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days after my outside of tank treatment, the algae is showing real signs of eradication. The bryopsis is virtually gone and the tufts of GHA are clearly showing signs that they are on their way out. The heliopora is still closed up, but looks better than it did right after treatment, I'm hopeful it will recover. Xenia is improved as well, though still stressed. Everything else appears to be heading back to normal. Fingers still crossed :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back