Reefapalooza+buying frags+ Airplane ride

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed what I was saying. When you ARRIVE home you can use the container to dip the corals. You can then place the container in a bowl WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED dipping and acclimation can start.
I did indeed miss the point apparently, thank you for the clarification. I guess I was just chiming in on the potential difficulties and overstated myself.
As to the referenced container I really like the design and see it a very safe means of transporting plugs. I'm attending a local event in May and intend to make several purchases of sps frags while there. (Don't get a lot of shows in NC, have to take advantage when the happen). Chances are really good that I'll get multiple frags from a small number of vendors. I'm considering getting 3-4 of these so I can keep each vendor separated and the plugs secure. Much better on the animals than just having them bouncing around in a bag.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been carrying SPS on planes for 29 years I use to fly out to my friend Steve Tyree's apartment to pick up Full heads of SPS for 30 bucks a head.:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its kind of funny - on the same thread I've read:

1. Coral is allowed (per the TSA) (in writing from the TSA website in carry on bags) - but The TSA can overrule this.
2. A pilot says - put it in your checked bags (the written rules say 'thats not allowed'.)
3. Anything can happen so send it separately via UPS or Fed Ex.
4. Put it in an approved container - and you won't have a problem
5. The approved container doesnt make a difference.
6. You won't save money going to the show *buying coral (though you might enjoy the 'show part') - because the vendors have to pay for the show.
7. You'll get lots of deals at the show (especially on the last day).

My question - although it 'could happen' - how often DOES it happen that coral, in an approved container is denied by TSA - who everyone seems to hate.

My comment # 1 - going to a show to get deals when you consider your airfare, hotel, meals, etc - may not be the best bet. Going to the show to enjoy the camaraderie, education, seeing whats available - maybe making contacts for future purchases probably well worth the effort.

My comment # 2 - Wouldn't most vendors help arrange shipping from the show to help with all of the many problems mentioned above - either from what they have at the show - or afterwards in a separate transaction?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been carrying SPS on planes for 29 years I use to fly out to my friend Steve Tyree's apartment to pick up Full heads of SPS for 30 bucks a head.:)

Have you found that the 3 ounce liquid limitation in carry on bags has changed that over the years - is that why some TSA people are apparently randomly denying people carrying coral?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did indeed miss the point apparently, thank you for the clarification. I guess I was just chiming in on the potential difficulties and overstated myself.
As to the referenced container I really like the design and see it a very safe means of transporting plugs. I'm attending a local event in May and intend to make several purchases of sps frags while there. (Don't get a lot of shows in NC, have to take advantage when the happen). Chances are really good that I'll get multiple frags from a small number of vendors. I'm considering getting 3-4 of these so I can keep each vendor separated and the plugs secure. Much better on the animals than just having them bouncing around in a bag.

BAO also make a larger square container.

I have traveled through TSA with the small circle one without issue. Just had it in my carry on bag, and told them at the scanners there was live corals in it. They opened my bag, took out the coral container, looked at it, and sent me on my way.

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice means of transport. Only potential problem I see is the ability to dip frags before getting them all in the same container. If you happen to get 1 animal with a parasite, by time you get them home, they all have that parasite. Maybe not a big deal, you would conceivably dip all prior to introducing them into your system anyway. Also getting them all acclimated to 1 source of water, looks like about a pint.
I wish I could make that trip, I'm sure you'll come back with some great stuff!! Best of luck transporting.
The good thing about the container is you dip the corals in the container. There are dosing instructions out there for that amount of water.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hire a private jet and fill the pressurized cabinet completely with 1.024sg saltwater..... and sit there with your corals and a scuba mask on

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go for now

IMG-20190406-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0009.jpg

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daughter is the camera girl today lol... so far no good deals just the typical prices

IMG-20190406-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20190406-WA0019.jpg

20190406_131500.jpg

20190406_131517.jpg

20190406_131543.jpg

20190406_131559.jpg

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off it was ok... super packed i mean it was ridiculously packed and no deals on alot of corals you would get deals on the common ones to be honest if your going to SeaWorld and just wanna swing by there it's ok but to go just for that and you live far it's not worth it it's hard to talk to vendors because it's so overcrowded and your better off just ordering corals to be honest and now for my next forum looking for people who are fragging there own exotic corals

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the diamond pass this year and will never buy a regular ticket again. Got in yesterday at 2:30, which was cool because I got to see how vendors set up tanks AND got the corals I wanted from my favorite vendors. Entrance today was 7am and tomorrow will be 9am. :)

OP
OP
Juniorh2r

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the diamond pass this year and will never buy a regular ticket again. Got in yesterday at 2:30, which was cool because I got to see how vendors set up tanks AND got the corals I wanted from my favorite vendors. Entrance today was 7am and tomorrow will be 9am. :)
That's what I should of did but I was only going one day

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back