220g revision one

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why revision 1? I had this reef up and running for about 3 years back before 9-11. When the construction industry tanked (please excuse the pun) shortly thereafter, so did my paycheck. I shut everything down and have been staring at an empty tank since, hoping to get it going again. Towards the end of 2017 I decided it was time. Same tank, pretty much everything else new.

Tank:
o Custom built 48” x 36” x 31” rectangular glass tank with European bracing (roughly 220 gallons) built in.
o Sump: 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse trough (running volume +/- 50 gallons)
o Total system water volume estimated at +/- 260 gallons
Pumps:
o Return: Current USA Eflux 3170 gph w/controller thru (2) 1” sea swirls
o Supplemental circulation: (2) Current USA 2100 gph and (1) 1050 gph Wave pumps also controlled/set to pulse. (1) Nero 5 set to constant 100% volume
Other equipment:
o Finnex HC-810 controller w/800 watt titanium element
o Pinpoint pH monitor
o Neptune ATK w/optical level sensor in 30 gallon reservoir
o 6 stage RO/DI (Particulate/Carbon block/RO membrane/(3) stage DI resins Cation, Anion, Mixed bed to polish.
o 60 gallon filtered water holding tank
o 60 gallon saltwater mixing tank
o Homemade Neilson Reactor w/Liter Meter 3 dosing pump
Filtration:
o Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250
o Filter socks on return changed out every 2-3 days.
o Biological filtration: +/- 200lbs mix of cured, mature live rock and Caribsea Liferock. 1” sand in main tank. Marinepure 8”x8”x1” blocks (6) in the sump. Recently added Turbo Aquatics L-4 Algae scrubber to the system (not yet fully matured).
Lighting:
o (3) Kessil AP700 LED light fixtures hanging 14” above the water surface running at 50% intensity at peak.
Parameters:
o 77-78 degrees F
o Specific Gravity 1.025
o KH: 8.1-8.3
o Calcium: 450
o pH: 8.1-8.2
o Salt mix: Tropic Marin/Classic Meersalz
-Water changes: 30 gallons every 2 weeks
o Additives:
-Tropic Marin All-For-Reef at 50 ml daily
-Kalkwasser at 2 gallons saturated weekly
Livestock
o Fishes: 12
o Corals: SPS dominant with some LPS. Some mushrooms and zoanthids.
o Inverts: 1 cleaner shrimp

I have just started placing SPS corals into my tank in the last six months. Started with a Pocillopora damicornis and a Stylophora pistillata, these were my canaries. When they were obviously healthy and growing I added several varieties of Montipora. I’ve now added +/- 10 varieties of Acropora, most of which have produced new growth and are doing well, as well as a variety of other sps species.

I had a massive clean up crew when I first got things going but I’ve reduced the number of snails to maybe a couple of dozen (mostly nassarius) and removed all hermit crabs.

I've purchased and am in the process of setting up an Apex Jr. controller and DOS pumps to perform 3 gallon per day automatic water changes.

In the near future I will be purchasing and installing an Aquarium Engineering Automated Calcium Reactor and a KH Guardian monitor/controller to automate alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and trace element supplementation.

And finally:

I recently (about 2 months ago) added a 30 gallon cube to this system. Plumbed into the same sump, utilizing the same filtration. The single occupant is a 4 1/2” purple Rhinopias frondosa (weedy scorpionfish). He’s fed strictly live food every other day (mollies/platties/glass shrimp).Nitrates in the system elevated slightly when first added but are back to negligible margins again.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why revision 1? I had this reef up and running for about 3 years back before 9-11. When the construction industry tanked (please excuse the pun) shortly thereafter, so did my paycheck. I shut everything down and have been staring at an empty tank since, hoping to get it going again. Towards the end of 2017 I decided it was time. Same tank, pretty much everything else new.

Tank:
o Custom built 48” x 36” x 31” rectangular glass tank with European bracing (roughly 220 gallons) built in.
o Sump: 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse trough (running volume +/- 50 gallons)
o Total system water volume estimated at =/- 260 gallons
Pumps:
o Return: Current USA Eflux 3170 gph w/controller thru (2) 1” sea swirls
o Supplemental circulation: (2) Current USA 2100 gph and (1) 1050 gph Wave pumps also controlled/set to pulse. (1) Nero 5 set to constant 100% volume
Other equipment:
o Finnex HC-810 controller w/800 watt titanium element
o Pinpoint pH monitor
o Neptune ATK w/optical level sensor in 30 gallon reservoir
o 6 stage RO/DI (Particulate/Carbon block/RO membrane/(3) stage DI resins Cation, Anion, Mixed bed to polish.
o 60 gallon filtered water holding tank
o 60 gallon saltwater mixing tank
o Homemade Neilson Reactor w/Liter Meter 3 dosing pump
Filtration:
o Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250
o Filter socks on return changed out every 2-3 days.
o Biological filtration: +/- 200lbs mix of cured, mature live rock and Caribsea Liferock. 1” sand in main tank. Marinepure 8”x8”x1” blocks (6) in the sump. Recently added Turbo Aquatics L-4 Algae scrubber to the system (not yet fully matured).
Lighting:
o (3) Kessil AP700 LED light fixtures hanging 14” above the water surface running at 50% intensity at peak.
Parameters:
o 77-78 degrees F
o Specific Gravity 1.025
o KH: 8.1-8.3
o Calcium: 450
o pH: 8.1-8.2
o Salt mix: Tropic Marin/Classic Meersalz
-Water changes: 30 gallons every 2 weeks
o Additives:
-Tropic Marin All-For-Reef at 50 ml daily
-Kalkwasser at 2 gallons saturated weekly
Livestock
o Fishes: 12
o Corals: SPS dominant with some LPS. Some mushrooms and zoanthids.
o Inverts: 1 cleaner shrimp

I have just started placing SPS corals into my tank in the last six months. Started with a Pocillopora damicornis and a Stylophora pistillata, these were my canaries. When they were obviously healthy and growing I added several varieties of Montipora. I’ve now added +/- 10 varieties of Acropora, most of which have produced new growth and are doing well, as well as a variety of other sps species.

I had a massive clean up crew when I first got things going but I’ve reduced the number of snails to maybe a couple of dozen (mostly nassarius) and removed all hermit crabs.

I've purchased and am in the process of setting up an Apex Jr. controller and DOS pumps to perform 3 gallon per day automatic water changes.

In the near future I will be purchasing and installing an Aquarium Engineering Automated Calcium Reactor and a KH Guardian monitor/controller to automate alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and trace element supplementation.

And finally:

I recently (about 2 months ago) added a 30 gallon cube to this system. Plumbed into the same sump, utilizing the same filtration. The single occupant is a 4 1/2” purple Rhinopias frondosa (weedy scorpionfish). He’s fed strictly live food every other day (mollies/platties/glass shrimp).Nitrates in the system elevated slightly when first added but are back to negligible margins again.

Sounds nice! Have any pics to share?

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished typing this up late last night and was too tired to dig thru 'em. Here are a few pics from the early stages.
DSC00852.JPG
DSC00869.JPG DSC00867.JPG DSC00873.JPG DSC00881.JPG DSC00888.JPG DSC00974.JPG 20180209_143459.jpg
Note the elusive Fatman Puffer........

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished typing this up late last night and was too tired to dig thru 'em. Here are a few pics from the early stages.
DSC00852.JPG
DSC00869.JPG DSC00867.JPG DSC00873.JPG DSC00881.JPG DSC00888.JPG DSC00974.JPG 20180209_143459.jpg
Note the elusive Fatman Puffer........

Looking good and I like the scape going on!

BTW - I'm familiar with that breed of puffer. They are elusive but a good T-bone usually coaxes them out of hiding! :D

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! Please keep us posted of your progress!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank full of water, return pump and my old skimmer running. At this point rock structure is all dry. Live sand and water from my 40 breeder to give cycling a little bit of a head start.
DSC00979.JPG DSC00965.JPG DSC00891.JPG

Looking good. Nice job on the 2x4 support stand too!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now added a 30g cube to this same system, plumbed into the sump. Working on the aquascape and lighting now. Will post pics soon.

Was starting to wonder what had happened to you. Happy all is well and moving forward.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was starting to wonder what had happened to you. Happy all is well and moving forward.
Really haven't made much in the way of changes other than adding livestock. Numerous acros, a small fungia and a small golden torch to add to the euphyllia collection.
I have ordered an Aquarium Engineering 8" Automated Calcium Reactor that I'm expecting within the next week or two. My plan was to control this with a kH Guardian. Having discussed this with Bill Wann, he suggested trying it without the controller if I wasn't making large additions of calcium consuming animals regularly that would require constant monitoring. So I think I'm going to go that route. Once I determine the usage rate within reason, I can do weekly testing and make adjustments accordingly. If the usage rate proves to be too random, I'll go ahead and add the controller. Very excited to get this online.
I will say that with the growth rates of my stony corals has increased noticeably over the past couple of months (plus additions) resulting in an increase in my dosing to keep up. Not really a bad problem to have. I believe ultimately I will incorporate the controller to simplify maintenance and increase stability.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really haven't made much in the way of changes other than adding livestock. Numerous acros, a small fungia and a small golden torch to add to the euphyllia collection.
I have ordered an Aquarium Engineering 8" Automated Calcium Reactor that I'm expecting within the next week or two. My plan was to control this with a kH Guardian. Having discussed this with Bill Wann, he suggested trying it without the controller if I wasn't making large additions of calcium consuming animals regularly that would require constant monitoring. So I think I'm going to go that route. Once I determine the usage rate within reason, I can do weekly testing and make adjustments accordingly. If the usage rate proves to be too random, I'll go ahead and add the controller. Very excited to get this online.
I will say that with the growth rates of my stony corals has increased noticeably over the past couple of months (plus additions) resulting in an increase in my dosing to keep up. Not really a bad problem to have. I believe ultimately I will incorporate the controller to simplify maintenance and increase stability.

Sounds exciting that you'll be adding the CaRx from Bill to your system. He/they build some really great equipment. Oddly enough, he lives not very far from me.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds exciting that you'll be adding the CaRx from Bill to your system. He/they build some really great equipment. Oddly enough, he lives not very far from me.
Very cool. I imagine if I lived that close to Bill he'd have my face print permanently embedded on his living room window.
I became acquainted with his equipment thru reading R2R threads. Truth be told, if I had come across his company earlier in my build I would probably have nothing but AE equipment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am using Tropic Marin Classic as my salt mix. I've used Reef Crystals and Red Sea previously and both are good salt mixes but I felt that the TMC was better for my purposes and settled there.
I see that there is a R2R contest in which winner will receive Aquaforest salt for a year. I've never used this salt before but have heard nothing but good things about it. It would be fantastic to win this contest and give it a try.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank no longer exists. Had this, a 40 cube and a frag tank running up until Covid. Got to where I couldn't get the chemicals I was using to keep things healthy, sold everything off. Said a sad/temporary good-bye to the hobby.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back