ReefBreeders Photon Schedule

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently setup an IM 25 lagoon as a frag tank. I have a ReefBreeders 24 V2+ over it and I want to get some feedback on my light schedule. As far as Par goes I'm hitting 260 in the middle and it drops to about 100 on the edges. Attached is my lighting schedule, I tried to go off the suggested schedules from ReefBreeders.
20200809_201225.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Photons for a long time. Your PAR levels are OK. If you are doing a lot of sps you might go up a bit. Raising the fixture and then turning up the power a bit might give you a better spread from the middle to the outer edges.

I think most corals only do photosynthesis for 5 to 7 hours and need 1 hour of bright light to get the process started. So 6 to 8 hours of bright light is enough. More is not harmful, but it's not really helpful either.

I think your 11am to 6 pm or 10 am to 7 pm is just fine.

OP
OP
Mattt

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, do you think I have the channels set appropriately? Mostly I'm concerned about nor having enough blue or too much white and so on.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrally it looks fine. You’re not going to have too much white in there unless you ONLY ran the white and red channels. Then you may run into excessive red related bleaching. Maybe. It’s a very long photoperiod but a good portion of it is very low energy. Have you measured max par levels of your ramp up and ramp down periods before your static max levels?

OP
OP
Mattt

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only measured peak levels I didn't think to measure when it ramped up and down.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my photon 50 (on a 75 gallon) much higher. During peak (4 to 5 hours) I run channel 3 and channel 6 at 100%, channel 4 and channel 5 at 40%. Red and green are at 5 to 7%.
The colors are really pleasing to the eyes too.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the whites at 40% and both blues at 80%, but my tank is aimed at corals and anemones that fluoresce. I only run the green and red at peak hours and only at 10% (they really don't do much). I run the violets at 50% during peak hours as well.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the BRS investigates v2+ video on YouTube. They give you real par measurements based on your type of system as well as break it down for whatever kind of par needs your corals may need.
Was super helpfull for me.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with following the brs recommended settings. Used a par meter to get to around 350 max setting and felt like it was too blue visually. But also didn’t want to undo a month of acclimation so I decided to do a mid day peak a little brighter and slowly raised the white green and red for 4 hours mid day until I reached 450 par max. It’s a little brighter white. Still not as much as I’d like. I prefer all channels equal but I’m rolling with what I’ve got for now. The corals have adjusted very well to it. Had to store away the remote to discourage me from fiddling with settings any more.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with following the brs recommended settings. Used a par meter to get to around 350 max setting and felt like it was too blue visually. But also didn’t want to undo a month of acclimation so I decided to do a mid day peak a little brighter and slowly raised the white green and red for 4 hours mid day until I reached 450 par max. It’s a little brighter white. Still not as much as I’d like. I prefer all channels equal but I’m rolling with what I’ve got for now. The corals have adjusted very well to it. Had to store away the remote to discourage me from fiddling with settings any more.

Having all channels equal is not anything you should be aiming for. Find a total color that is as slanted toward blue as you can stand. Maybe a bit more white during the 6 to 8 peak hours. Your corals will love you for it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having all channels equal is not anything you should be aiming for. Find a total color that is as slanted toward blue as you can stand. Maybe a bit more white during the 6 to 8 peak hours. Your corals will love you for it.

Seems to work well for @Battlecorals and @therman

I won’t pretend I’m anywhere close to their skill level but it certainly isn’t unheard of.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to work well for @Battlecorals and @therman

I won’t pretend I’m anywhere close to their skill level but it certainly isn’t unheard of.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I just said it shouldn't be your goal. And I assume outfits like Battlecorals aren't keeping a tank, they are growing coral and I'd wager they have the fixture higher off the water than most hobbyists would (just a guess).

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to copy brs as close as I could going after reccomended setting to achieve desired spectrum as shown on the investigates video.
I have mine over 2 tables. At 23 inches off the water I'm hitting 100-125 par at 5 inches deep on a 2×4 spread.
Red and green channels at 3%
Whites at 20%
Blues at 40%
Blues on 1hr before and after red,white and green.
Total time on 11hrs.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the BRS investigates v2+ video on YouTube. They give you real par measurements based on your type of system as well as break it down for whatever kind of par needs your corals may need.
Was super helpfull for me.

I agree on the video! It helped me as well.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say it wouldn't work, I just said it shouldn't be your goal. And I assume outfits like Battlecorals aren't keeping a tank, they are growing coral and I'd wager they have the fixture higher off the water than most hobbyists would (just a guess).

I will be running two of the v2+ 50’s over a 60”x24”x24” suspended 17-18” or so off the water. 99% acropora dominant. I just strongly prefer closer to a 10-14k aesthetic. Don’t care for the super blue/fluorescent look.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care for the super blue/fluorescent look either. I tried it for about a day and quickly went go back to 14,000k, which is as blue as I can stand. My goal for the display tank is viewing pleasure and color versus fast growth. Although, the acros grow plenty fast at 14,000K.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care for the super blue/fluorescent look either. I tried it for about a day and quickly went go back to 14,000k, which is as blue as I can stand. My goal for the display tank is viewing pleasure and color versus fast growth. Although, the acros grow plenty fast at 14,000K.
I was never good at guessing my Kelvin level
But I think photon 50 17" away will cause you to loose a lot of par. And you may end up with lot of white led bleeding to the floor (white are around the outer side of the array on every direction). I have my photon 50 at 8" above 75G tank and run 3 and 6 at 100% and 4 and 5 at like 40% and my par is like 375-400 5" below the water surface. Please keep that in mind when you consider raising them higher and higher.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice trick about hiding the remote

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back