Reefbrite Control Help

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need some help getting my XHO setup and fully functional. I have the dimming module as well a the VDM. I’m able to control simple On/Off via the virtual outlet but cannot find any info on ramping/setting intensity.

Fixture Is connected to dimmer, dimmer to power supply and the dimmer apex cable is plugged into VDM port 3/4.

Is it similar to Kessil in that I need a separate color/intensity program?

Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a quick look online and can't find the product manuals for the XHO, so I'm sort of in the dark.

I think it's safe to assume the control is similar to the Kessil, so click on the gear above the virtual outlet for the VDM port you select and set a profile as you see fit.

If this doesn't work, and you can point me to the product manual or guide for the XHO, I'll look into it some more. But really, if you're using the VDM, and you have the cable plugged in correctly, there's only one way to do this. You may have to play around with which VDM port controls which aspect of the light, etc.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a quick look online and can't find the product manuals for the XHO, so I'm sort of in the dark.QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time!

Same boat here though. No manual came with the dimmer and none of the sellers have it listed with the product. Kinda strange seeing as how prevelent the fixtures are.

I ultimately deverted back to basic Apex VDM ramp program and now have it ramping from 10-40% intensity using a single virtual outlet. It seems with Reefbrite intensity=color if that makes sense?

Ive seen conflicting reports of some people claiming it’ll ramp 0-100% while others say 10% is the minimum. Mine goes on/off at 10%.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So each VDM connnector has two channels, have you tried changing the other channel on the same connector to see if it has an effect?

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know, I'm curious. At least the Jebao stuff comes with pictures and fragmented English that can be used to figure out what the heck is going on, not providing a manual or making it available online is poor form period. Looking at this again, they only offer three color options for the XHO, daylight, 50/50 or Actinic. Perhaps its not spectrum controllable.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly there is a switch in the back of the dimming module that controls whether the front dial, or the RJ45 is controlling the dimming module. Turn the dial in the front to 100 and make sure the the APEX has it at a lower level. You can tell real easy by flipping the switch if the Apex is controlling it or not. RB now has a newer dimming module and I'm using it with no issue on a GHL controller. If you still have issues contact Joy at RB and they will help. JP

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad I'm not the only one that needs pics for equipment.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is the newer dimming module that controls 2 fixtures via the one VDM connection. There's no switch on the module. I saw some references to a switch in my search but that must have been an older module. So using the 2nd virtual outlet controls a 2nd fixture if I had one.

Im thinking @jml1149 is correct in that there's no spectrum control to the RB's. The intensity setting=fixture brightness but all the same actinic color. It's making sense now but some sort of documentation would have been nice.

@jporter17 Are you able to dim from 0-100% via the GHL or only 10-100%? It doesnt make a huge difference I'd just like to know.
https://www.reef2reef.com/members/jml1149.69118/

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is the newer dimming module that controls 2 fixtures via the one VDM connection. There's no switch on the module. I saw some references to a switch in my search but that must have been an older module. So using the 2nd virtual outlet controls a 2nd fixture if I had one.

Im thinking @jml1149 is correct in that there's no spectrum control to the RB's. The intensity setting=fixture brightness but all the same actinic color. It's making sense now but some sort of documentation would have been nice.

@jporter17 Are you able to dim from 0-100% via the GHL or only 10-100%? It doesnt make a huge difference I'd just like to know.

OK, you have the same module as I do. There is no switch, that was the first model. My GHL display shows dimming from 0-100%. My moon light comes on just prior to the XHO's shutting off so my tank is never completely dark. I believe I had tried the wrong channel initially on GHL and once I fixed that it's been working properly. JP

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back