ReefCam! Recommendations For 4K Wireless Cam

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am planning on setting up a 24/7/365 Reef webcam. It won’t have sound, just a video feed of my tank once it’s up and running. Wondered if you had any recommendations ? I am looking for a standalone (ie not connected directly to a PC) wireless camera capable of 4K if possible.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a wyze cam, doesn't run at 4k, but 1080p is good enough for monitoring. Very affordable. Free streaming thorough the app and as card for local storage.

Here's a pic of mine, the camera is mounted on the wall at 6ft away.

Screenshot_20190909-140640.png

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the wayz cam to nice I use it on night vision because my lights are bright and hard see what's going on but on the NV I can see but not 4k but great product for the money

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty awesome live feed cameras for $20-30 and no monthly subscription. You would need it a lot closer to see definition in the tank though.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty awesome live feed cameras for $20-30 and no monthly subscription. You would need it a lot closer to see definition in the tank though.
Yeah that’s my worry. Where I am going to locate the tank does not make it easy on me. I have will need to zoom in a little, not too much, but I do want to show detail.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4k requires a lot more bandwidth as well to stream.

Wyze is really a good product for the money, I have several around the house and just use the one to monitor the tank.

They come with magnetic mounting discs so you can get creative with where to mount it.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4k requires a lot more bandwidth as well to stream.

Wyze is really a good product for the money, I have several around the house and just use the one to monitor the tank.

They come with magnetic mounting discs so you can get creative with where to mount it.
Bandwidth I have ! But I i was going to stream it on YouTube, and I think there would not be enough folks who would watch It in 4K to justify it. I have 4K monitors with 1GIG of bandwidth but still don’t use the YouTube 4K option very much due to the way the ISP throttles it

Last edited:

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandwidth I have ! But I i was going to stream it on YouTube, and I think there would not be enough folks who would watch. It in 4K to justify it. I have 4K monitors with 1GIG of bandwidth but still don’t use the YouTube 4K option very much due to the way the ISP throttles it

That rules out anything Wyze as they're not capable of that function... at least not right out of the box.

jakesweep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have a Wyze and for those looking into them, I would be wary. There are tons of reports and reviews that point to the fact that they are sending your stream/data to Chinese IP addresses. Make sure you read up on that before you make your decision. As someone who works in IT, I wouldn't want one of these in my house.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back