Reefer 170 : in-sump Refugium or Algae Reactor

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There,

As most of you should know, the RSR 170 sump is not designed to host a refugium section, and I definetly want to grow macro-algae in my tank.
Therefore, I'm considering two options:

- Add a Algae Reactor.
I would buy something similar to https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_XL_Algae_Reactor_Package-AquaMaxx-UJ5356-FIFRAS-vi.html

I will place it outside the cabinet, because I'm not totally sure it will fit inside the RSR 170 cabinet.
Would that be a wise idea?

- Swap the sump for another sump with a built-in refugium like these
https://marine-world.co.uk/products/eaprosump-medium
or
https://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger...-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81638-FIFRBSCU-vi.html

I wanted some feedbacks of RSR 170 owners who are growing algae and the method the way they are doing it. Any pictures will be welcome.

The option of converting the ATO into a refugium is not the table since I'm not a handyman at all.

Thank you all

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jpluttme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal Reef Aquatics makes a replacement sump for the Reefer 250 if you want to run a fuge and might to the Triton method one day or even something similar. Per an email I just got from them the other day, it should also work for the 170. Plenty of other sumps would work as well.

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you jpluttme.

Indeed I love this guy build. I think I'll go for a chaeto reactor then.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tossed some chaeto into the big skimmer chamber, bought $2 worth of plastic mesh from Michael's from the knitting section, and added a clip on light. It works great for me, with minimal upkeep.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the aquamaxx reactors on 2 tanks, one large one small. I recently added a reactor to a tank I was running a refugium, the refugium wasn't living up to my expectations. I have not had good luck with refugium running in sumps with full flow, I believe the macro needs less flow to be fully effective. So for me it's algae reactors all the way. If your sump has a dedicated refugium where you can control the flow, then a refugium may be a consideration.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back