Reefer 170 Sump

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about a Reefer 170 for my next build. The sump doesn't seem to have much room and people look like they choose between a refugium and a skimmer. Does anyone have both? Can a skimmer be placed in a refugium?

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about a Reefer 170 for my next build. The sump doesn't seem to have much room and people look like they choose between a refugium and a skimmer. Does anyone have both? Can a skimmer be placed in a refugium?
You can turn the ATO reservoir into a refugium. Drill hole through the side glass panel and pump water into it you’re good to go.

I have plumbed the exit pipe to the return pump section and have a 30L tub for my ATO linked to the mechanical built in float valve works just fine.

68EE4A77-9D71-4A1D-A268-91DE6802DC9C.jpeg

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn the ATO reservoir into a refugium. Drill hole through the side glass panel and pump water into it you’re good to go.

I have plumbed the exit pipe to the return pump section and have a 30L tub for my ATO linked to the mechanical built in float valve works just fine.

68EE4A77-9D71-4A1D-A268-91DE6802DC9C.jpeg

Brilliant idea, thank you! Is that your return pipe above the water level on the left and the pump bringing water in on the right?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 and the guy I bought mine from glued a couple of pieces of acrylic or plexi together to divide the space in the sump and ran both. I decided against the skimmer, but it can hold both.

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant idea, thank you! Is that your return pipe above the water level on the left and the pump bringing water in on the right?

That's exactly it! You can drill through glass pretty easily just make sure you don't put too much pressure on it and if you have a spare old piece of glass practice run on that first. Of course you can get a store or glass worksman to do it for you but i like to DIY stuff so it was fun, You can also black out all sides and bottom of the refugium to reduce light going into the sump promoting algae growth. (Leave front panel normal for viewing)

Also note the actual reservoir inbuilt is not extremely effective, I'm running just one Hydra light and I have to refill it every 3-5 days to the top. Gets abit tedious so I wanted to have a larger reservoir that could be refilled once a week or 10 days etc.. and it's worked perfectly since.

If you're going to house copepods for a mandarin it's beneficial doing it this way also cause the water skips the skimmer section of the sump and you won't lose any pods that way.

Have a blast and best of luck! :D

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this tank. Decided to use Zeovit so I removed the bubble trap divider. In sump is a skimmer, AZR-127, sock cup where carbon is placed in bag. Clean and working good so far.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back